March 2023: Summer Food Service Program Updates
February 2023: USDA Proposed Rule & Submitting a Public Comment
Assistant Director Lynelle Johnson covered most of the proposed revisions to child nutrition programs during the first 19 minutes of the webinar. At minute 19:20, Amy Nelson, Child Nutrition Specialist encourages you to make comments on the proposed changes. She shows you where to find the comment submission form and adds helpful hints on how to comment. The Question and Answer session was not recorded.
Resources for this session are:
Links to resources mentioned during the presentation:
- The Road Ahead: Building Back Better With School Meals | Food and Nutrition Service (usda.gov)
- Proposed Updates to the School Nutrition Standards | Food and Nutrition Service (usda.gov)
- School Meal Standards Comparison Chart | Food and Nutrition Service (usda.gov)
Link to submit a Public Comment:
- Federal Register:: Child Nutrition Programs: Revisions to Meal Patterns Consistent With the 2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- Look for Section 16, if you would like the “sparknote” version of the updates, or check out the Attachment of the ‘Highlights’
January 2023: Procuring School Food & Supplies for SY 24
This presentation goes through the basic types of procurement for your school food service. We also talk with Lisa Truax on the ND Coop’s Direct to Manufacturer food bid, timeline, and what is next for schools who have opted into this procurement type. For those who have not opted into the ND school food coop, we have templates for you to start your procurement plan with. Remember all schools must have a procurement policy and code of conduct written for their staff – samples are provided.
- Procurement Guidance 2023: Step by step outline for each type of procurement
- Market Basket Template: Blank Excel spreadsheet to list the school’s market basket items to solicit bids.
- RFP Prime Vendor Template: Request for proposal for Prime Vendor. Use with the Market Basket worksheet.
- RFP Bread Template: Request for proposal – fresh bread.
- RFP Milk Template: Request for proposal – milk.
- Distributor Contacts: Contact information for the 3 Mainline food distributors for North Dakota
- Informal Procurement Form: For Small purchases of less than $50,000, use this form to document quotes
- Sample – Procurement Policy: All schools operating the National School lunch program must have a written procurement policy. This is a sample.
- Sample – Code of Conduct: All schools operating the National School lunch program must have a written code of conduct. This is a sample.
December 2022– USDA Foods
November 15, 2022 – 7 CFR 210.8(a)(1): On-site Review.
An annual review of the lunch and breakfast programs must be completed each year by February 1 at districts that have more than one school site. USDA strongly encourages all schools to review the checklist for “program accountability and integrity.”
September 20, 2022 - Annual Cashier Training
Includes training in Civil Rights compliance, Reimbursable meal identification and what is Offer vs Serve meal service
August 16, 2022– Back in the Saddle Again with Free/Reduced Meal Applications
The federal school meal programs are returning to income eligibilities and meal pricing structures this year, so we want to remind you how families should fill the applications out and then how a school district will process them.
June 21, 2022 – Hot Topics, Cool Ideas, and Nice pics from our Recap of NDSNA 2022.
- Customer service was a key focus of this year’s state School Nutrition Association conference. Find copies of all the resources from the convention at www.northdakotasna.com/conference We also review the foodshow fare – new products for next year’s menus and new ways to prepare old favorites. Enjoy!
May 17, 2022– Top Ways to Prepare for Next Year
April 19, 2022– Meal Pricing - Student, Adult, and A la Carte with Tips and Tricks for keeping production costs inline
- Time 17:51 Table has an Error. Lunch-Pricing School Total is "At least $0.82 on top of highest student paid price"
March 15, 2022 – SCA, Procurement, USDA Updates & More
February 15, 2022 – Planning for next year
January 18, 2022: Nonprogram Foods – do you know what they are and how to track them?
November 16, 2021: A Focus on Food Allergies
October 19, 2021: Administrative Reviews
May 18, 2021: Getting Ready for Next Year – USDA Waivers and menu tips
APRIL 22, 2022: USDA WAIVERS: Webinar
April 20, 2021: Every Kid Healthy Celebrations
March 16, 2021: Let’s talk about Grains on your menu–bring some popped popcorn with you!
February 16, 2021: A Few of My Favorite Things – Kitchen tools to make your job easier
January 19, 2021: CN Labels and Product Formulation Statements
December 15, 2020: Recipes and Recipe Analysis Workbook
November 17, 2020: Production Records
Resources for Kitchen Counter Conversations are available by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
August 2022- Back to School Workshop RECAP