The State Superintendent's Student Cabinet is Accepting Applications for School Year 2020-2022!
Students interested in serving on the State Superintendent’s Student Cabinet will need to submit their application and meet any other criteria stated within this Application for Selection. Applications are due by November 23, 2020, by 5:00 PM CDT, and should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 701-328-0203.
The Department of Public Instruction is looking for students in Grades 4-12 or the first year of college to serve as members of the State Superintendent's Student Cabinet. The purpose of the State Superintendent’s Student Cabinet is to provide a forum for North Dakota students’ voices to be heard.
Students from different grade levels, backgrounds, cultures, school size, and areas within North Dakota will share their opinions and offer advice about educational opportunities and policy in North Dakota with State Superintendent of Public Instruction, Kirsten Baesler.
Cabinet meetings will be held throughout the coming school year. Most meetings will be held at the State Capitol in Bismarck, North Dakota. Cabinet Members will be notified of the first meeting date upon selection.
Selected students will be expected to attend all scheduled meetings; prepare for each meeting as needed; work collaboratively with each other, and with the Department of Public Instruction staff as needed; and express views and opinions openly, constructively, and respectfully.
By becoming a member of the State Superintendent’s Student Cabinet, students will:
- Have a direct role in improving education for all students in North Dakota;
- Gain important leadership, public speaking, decision making, and team-building skills;
- Develop a network of support and mentors through exposure to leaders across the state; and
- Have a great addition to their resume and college applications.
2018-2020 Student Cabinet Members
The members of the 2018-2020 Student Cabinet are:
- Tristan Orton, a fourth grader at Lincoln Elementary School in Dickinson
- Wyatt Barth, a fourth grader at the Innovation School in Bismarck
- Grace Arthaud, a fifth grader at DeMores Elementary School in Medora
- Kendall Jones, a fifth grader at Dakota Montessori School in Fargo
- Ayden Frohlich, a seventh grader at Simle Middle School in Bismarck
- Laura Eichhorst, a seventh grader at Underwood High School in Underwood
- Aidan Bertsch, an eighth grader at Cheney Middle School in West Fargo
- Gillian Ellena Lunde, an eighth grader at Standing Rock Middle School in Fort Yates
- Halle Sanders, an eighth grader at Langdon Area Middle School in Langdon
- Marisa Tafoya-Borr, an eighth grader at Simle Middle School in Bismarck
- Reilly Meyer, an eighth grader at Trinity High School in Dickinson
- Sheyenne Waletzko, an eighth grader at Lisbon Middle School in Lisbon
- Zara Laber, a ninth grader at Mandan High School in Mandan
- Kourtney Bitz, a 10th grader at Napoleon High School in Napoleon
- Tegan Amundson, a 10th grader at Richland 44 Junior/Senior High School in Colfax
- Colton Willits, an 11th grader at North Border-Walhalla High School in Walhalla
- Gracie Johnsrud, an 11th grader at Watford City High School in Watford City
- Preeti Chemiti, an 11th grader at Sheyenne High School in West Fargo
- Tobias Zikmund, a 12th grader at Park River Area High School in Park River