The new WIDA English Language Development (ELD) Standards Framework, 2020 Edition has been adopted by the North Dakota Department of Public Instruction as the official State ELD Standards. The framework provides a clear and coherent structure to guide the development of curriculum, instruction, and assessment of content-driven language learning. This comprehensive edition is centered in equity and fosters the assets, contributions, and potential of multilingual learners.
The WIDA ELD Standards are expected to be embedded in all mainstream and content classrooms that include English learners by the fall of 2023.
The implementation plan for North Dakota:
- 2021-2022 school year - planning and training at state and district level.
- 2022-2023 school year - planning and training at state and district level.
- 2023-2024 school year - districts ensure ELD standards are embedded into all classroom instruction that includes English learners.
Visit the WIDA ELD webpage to download or purchase the 2020 Edition, learn about professional learning opportunities and access resources.
This NDDPI webpage will also provide continued updates and information to help districts with their implementation planning.
Teacher Leaders: Planning with the WIDA ELD Standards Framework
- This training is conducted in a Train the Trainer model and is designed to support teacher leaders, coaches, and those who provide local professional development and support for using the WIDA ELD Standards Framework (2020 edition) to plan instruction at the local level.
- 1+ day hybrid workshop to help districts prepare to implement the WIDA ELD Standards Framework (2020 edition) in all classrooms with EL students in the 2023-2024 school year.
- Required pre-workshop activity, 1 hour, due prior to 7/20/2022
- Mandatory pre-workshop webinar, 1 hour, 7/20/2022, 10:00am
- In-person workshop, 7 hours, 8/4/2022, 8:00am - 4:00pm, Bismarck
- Optional post workshop follow up and resources
- Each district may register up to TWO participants. We strongly encourage districts to send at least one decision maker with the authority to schedule and implement local professional development offerings.
- If you have more than 2 staff members you would like to register, please choose the WAITING LIST option under tickets for them. If there is space available, we will invite those from the waiting list on a first come, first served basis.
- If there are sufficient numbers, we will look into providing this training again.
- Earn 8 hours toward the North Dakota EL Cafe Credit upon completion of pre-work, webinar, and face-to-face workshop. NO partial credit will be awarded.
EL Crash Course - August 2&3, 2022
This is a 2-part training for new EL teachers and those new to working with English learners. The first day will be a review of the EL and Title III regulations and how to set up a quality program for English learners. The second day will focus on English language development (ELD) standards and instructional strategies for English learners.