The North Dakota 67th Legislative Assembly (2021) faced decisions on an influx of ESSER funds provided to states in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The legislative body wished to emphasize using the funds for education to mitigate challenges in learning loss and recovery created by the pandemic. The intention of the North Dakota Century Code (NDCC) section 15.1-21-12.1 regarding reading curriculum and professional development is to support the improvement of reading instruction for students in North Dakota.
All teachers and principals serving students in grades K-3 will:
- Receive training in scientifically-based reading instruction practices.
- Utilize scientifically-based instructional materials and approaches.
North Dakota Century Code:
- NDCC 15.1-21.12.1 Reading Curriculum - Content - Professional Development
- NDCC 15.1-13-35.1 Teaching License - Reading Instruction Competency
ND Administrative Code:
- Administrative Rules 67-31 are effective April 1, 2022.