Due to school closures and other disruptions caused by the coronavirus outbreak, the deadline to submit State Teacher of the Year applications has been extended to May 8, 2020.
The North Dakota Teacher of the Year Program celebrates the work of a classroom teacher in kindergarten through grade 12.
Teacher of the Year Nomination
Are you interested in nominating a teacher for the Teacher of the Year award? Please complete this nomination form by May 8!
Selection Process and Timeline
Applications are open for ANY teacher who would like to apply for the North Dakota Teacher of the Year. Due to the North Dakota school closures, the application phases have been revised. Now, all teachers who've applied for the County Teacher of the Year will be rolled into a larger pool of consideration.
Interested teachers are asked to complete the North Dakota Teacher of the Year Semi-finalist application by May 8, 2020 at 5 pm CST.
North Dakota Teacher of the Year Semi-finalists are notified: June 1, 2020
State Finalists are visited at their schools before school ends (if schools are open), where the State Superintendent will congratulate the teachers in front of their colleagues, administrators, students, support staff, parents, and local board of education members.
Next Steps :
Teachers of the Year semi-finalists will be asked to complete the next phase of the application process to qualify for the state Teacher of the Year. They will be asked to travel to the Capitol to conduct an in-person interview and oral presentation for the selection of the North Dakota Teacher of the Year. Interview dates will be the week of July 13 at the Capitol in Bismarck, ND. More specific information will be sent to the four finalists upon notification.
North Dakota Teacher of the Year is notified: August 10, 2020
Announcement and celebration event for the 2021 Teacher of the Year should be completed by September 30 to allow time for the completion of the National Teacher of the Year application.
Duties & Responsibilities of the NDTOY
The Teacher of the Year will shoulder the significant responsibility of representing the teaching profession in North Dakota. The person who is chosen must maintain his/her current employment position. If the NDTOY is selected as the National Teacher of the Year, they will be released from classroom responsibilities during the year of national recognition.
The Teacher of the Year acts as:
- A liaison between the teaching community, the North Dakota Legislature, the North Dakota Department of Public Instruction, schools, and communities.
- An ambassador for education to businesses, parents, service organizations, and the media.
- A resource on the state of the profession. The Teacher of the Year should be available for workshops and conferences around the state and nation.
- An education leader who takes part in teacher forums and discussions about how to improve education.
North Dakota’s Teacher of the Year automatically becomes the nominee for the National Teacher of the Year Program, which is a project of the Council of Chief State School Officers.
Selection Criteria for NDTOY
A candidate for North Dakota Teacher of the Year (NDTOY) teaches kindergarten through grade 12, and who is planning to continue as a teacher.
The candidate for NDTOY has the respect and admiration of their colleagues, and:
- Is an expert in their field who guides students of all backgrounds and abilities in their quest for excellence;
- Collaborates with colleagues, students, and families to create a school culture of respect and success;
- Connects the classroom and key stakeholders to foster a strong community,
- Demonstrates leadership, innovation, and lifelong learning skills in and outside of the classroom; and
- Presents themselves in an engaging and articulate way.
Contents of a complete application packet
North Dakota Teacher of the Year applicants must submit their electronic* application online to the NDDPI by the deadline, May 8, 2020.
Incomplete application packets and late submissions will not be considered. Sections that go over the maximum word/page requirement may lose points. Additional information will be requested of the NDTOY for the submission of the NTOY application. The NDDPI TOY Coordinator will reach out for this information once the NDTOY is selected.
*If you or your district is unable to submit the application electronically, you must let the NDDPI TOY Coordinator know prior to the application deadline to make other arrangements.
**The NDTOY will be selected without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or disabilities.
NTOY Application and Necessary Approvals
If selected as the NDTOY, the following process and approvals are required for the NTOY application:
- The NDDPI TOY Coordinator will reach out to the NDTOY to update any needed information for the NTOY application.
- The NDDPI TOY Coordinator will complete the electronic NTOY for the NDTOY.
- The NDDPI TOY Coordinator will send an acknowledgment and electronic signature request to:
- the State Superintendent of Public Instruction
- the NDTOY District Superintendent
- the NDTOY Principal
- The NDDPI TOY Coordinator will send a copy of the entire application packet for review by the NDTOY awardee. The NDTOY will need to thoroughly read and review the application. The NDDPI TOY Coordinator will make any revisions requested. Once the NDTOY has approved the final application packet, the NDTOY will electronically sign off.
- Once all necessary approvals have been received, the NDDPI TOY Coordinator will submit the NTOY application.