Advanced Placement Student Exam Fees


Advanced Placement (AP) is a College Board program that offers North Dakota high school students the opportunity to take rigorous, college-level courses and earn college credit while in high school. Students engage in intense discussions, solve problems collaboratively, and learn to write clearly and persuasively.

North Dakota offers a variety of AP courses. Some North Dakota school districts offer AP courses in person. AP courses are also offered online through the North Dakota Center for Distance Education.

AP exams are administered each year, and students earn scores ranging from 1-5 on their exams. Many colleges throughout the United States offer college credit (and/or advanced placement) for students who score 3 or higher on their AP exam. Students should check with individual colleges for the most current list of the AP courses each institution accepts for college credit.

If you are interested in the AP program, talk to an AP teacher, the AP Coordinator at your school, or your counselor. For additional information, visit the CollegeBoard website.

AP Student Exam Fee Guidance and Student Exam Fee Submission Form
College Board AP Coordinator's Manual/How to Set Up AP Courses
FAQ: Administering AP Examinations

How can my school get approved to administer AP Examinations?

To administer AP Examinations in your school, complete the following steps:

  1.  Get your School Code number (if unknown) by searching the High School Code Search on the College Board website. (NOTE: If you need assistance obtaining your code, you may contact Academic Support for assistance.)
    1. Check to make sure you have a Level 2 code. If you do not have a school code or you have a level 1 code, complete the High School Code Request Form to get a school code or change your school’s authorization level. Most North Dakota schools already have a level 2 school code.
    2. If you are unsure about your code level, contact Maureen LaRaviere at College Board (
  2. Select an AP Coordinator
    1. Who would qualify to be an AP Coordinator?
      1. Full- or part-time administrator not teaching an AP course
      2. Counselor not teaching an AP course
      3. Teacher not teaching an AP course
    2. An AP Coordinator cannot handle an exam that an immediate family or household member is taking. (i.e., If the coordinator’s daughter is taking the English Language and Composition exam, the coordinator cannot handle an English exam. The coordinator would be allowed to handle exams in other disciplines.)
    3. An AP Coordinator may not coach students on any College Board exam content (i.e., AP, SAT, PSAT, etc.).
  3. Access AP Registration and Ordering and complete the AP Participation Form. Directions to complete the form may be found here. This step must be completed to place an order for an exam.
  4. Order exams needed in AP Registration and Ordering.

What is an AP Exam proctor, and do I need one?

The school will need a proctor for the AP Exam(s) given. The proctor will prepare the exam site, set up equipment, admit and assign students a seat, check student identification, bring all needed materials to the exam room, actively monitor the test room and students taking the exam, and collect and return exams to a secure site.

Who may proctor the AP Exam(s)?

The AP Exam proctor must be a responsible adult who is reliable and mature, pays attention to detail, and understands the importance of test administration and security. The individual may be one of the following:

  • AP Coordinator, active teacher, retired teacher, substitute teacher, or administrator for AP Exams outside their teaching area as identified on their teaching license or subject they have ever taught. (i.e., math teacher, able to teach math and science, could proctor the AP English Exam; this individual could not proctor any AP math or science exams)
  • AP teacher in a subject area other than the one currently taught or has ever taught
  • Parent without a conflict of interest (i.e., their child taking an AP exam)
  • Proctor may not handle exams for which an immediate family member (i.e., son, daughter, stepson/daughter) or household member (i.e., foster child) is taking the exam
  • Proctor may not review the content of or take the AP Exam
  • Proctor may not coach students on any College Board exam content

If a teacher has dual certification for math and science, teaches AP Biology, but does not have math courses within their schedule this current year, are they allowed to proctor the AP calculus exam?

No. This teacher could not proctor the AP Calculus exam as the teacher has not taught math.

Could a paraeducator or school secretary proctor the AP Exam?

Yes, provided they are available during the entire testing window and meet the proctor criteria of no family or household member taking the exam or does not have a teaching license in the subject area tested.

Could the building principal proctor the AP Exam?

Yes. The building principal could serve as both the proctor and AP Coordinator as long as the individual has the time available to monitor the exam, meets the teaching requirement, and doesn’t have an immediate family or household member taking the exam in the subject area.

Where may students take the AP Exam?

If the AP course is not taught at the school, the students may take the AP Exam in a room with desks or tables containing a smooth writing surface such as an empty classroom or school library. The room used needs to meet the following requirements:

  • Able to adhere to the AP Exam seating policy (space students out, students cannot face one another, etc.)
  • Few disruptions (bells, fire alarms, intercoms)
  • Clearly visible wall clock for students to use
  • No maps, periodic tables, posters, or subject-specific materials on walls
  • Adequate lighting and ventilation

What if my facility does not have a room available?

Schools without a testing space available may allow the student to test offsite at a community facility such as community centers, church halls, hotels, public libraries, local colleges, or universities. The school district is responsible for the personnel needed to proctor the exam and arrangements with the facility, so the room requirements are met. The school is also responsible for exam security.

If the school uses an outside facility, will new level 2 coding approval be needed?

No. Coding approval is based on the processes involved with handling the AP exams and characteristics of the school identified on the High School Code Request Form.

Can students who did not take an AP course take an AP Exam?

If a student who is not enrolled in an AP course wants to challenge the AP Exam, they may take the exam. The AP Coordinator must create an exam only section for that course and order the appropriate exam. To do this, follow the steps below:

  • Go to the courses page in AP Registration and Ordering.
  • If the course is not listed in the AP Course Audit section, click +Add Course.
  • Complete the following information:
    • Select course
    • Click +Add section
    • Enter the section Name (i.e., AP Art History Exam Only)
    • Maximum number of students (default is 40)
    • Course Schedule: Select Exam Only

For more information, please follow the guidance in the AP Coordinator Manual: Part I for creating an exam-only section.

How does the school order exams for students who took an AP course virtually?

Students enrolled in an AP course virtually (i.e., NDCDE, IVN) need to take the AP exam in their home school district. The school must be approved to administer an AP exam and order the exam(s) for the student following the guidance in the AP Coordinator Manual: Part I for an exam-only section. The exam is ordered using the same process used to order an exam for a student who is challenging the exam.

How does a school get state reimbursement for AP Exams?

The state reimburses school districts for the cost of exams in English, math, science, and computer science upon receipt of the appropriate reimbursement form. This form must be submitted to the NDDPI by June 30. The information regarding exam reimbursement and courses eligible for reimbursement may be found here.

Supported Courses


  • AP English Language and Composition
  • AP English Literature and Composition

Math and Computer Science 

  • AP Calculus AB
  • AP Calculus BC
  • AP Computer Science A
  • AP Computer Science Principles
  • AP Statistics


  • AP Biology
  • AP Chemistry
  • AP Environmental Science
  • AP Physics C: Electricity & Magnetism
  • AP Physics C: Mechanics
  • AP Physics 1
  • AP Physics 2


  • AP Research
  • AP Seminar