nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends

Top Navigation - Left

Motor Carrier

With new North Dakota plates, you need to update your plate in the permit system profile. 

Click here for more information.


January Trucking Tip: To stay up-to-date on road conditions, please see the DOT's travel information map or dial 511.


The Motor Carrier division has many programs to enhance commercial motor vehicle safety:

  • Motor Carrier Safety Assistance Program (MCSAP)

  • Border Inspections Program (BIP)

  • New Entrant Program

  • Size and Weight Enforcement

  • Permitting/E-permits system

The divisional commander has oversight of the division, coordinates and acts as a liaison with the NDDOT, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, and the Federal Highway Administration. The operational commander and administrative assistant coordinate day-to-day activities of the division, including two sergeants, eight troopers and two civilian inspectors assigned to the MCSAP program. Three troopers are assigned to the Border Inspection Program and three civilians inspectors are assigned to the New Entrant program. The permit office has a supervisor and three permit specialists. The size and weight enforcement program has five troopers under the Motor Carrier division and 11 troopers assigned to regional office locations.

The division is challenged with reducing commercial vehicle crashes by conducting commercial vehicle inspections, safety audits, compliance reviews, and coordinating the permit system. The division protects the highway infrastructure through size and weight enforcement and permitting of overweight/over-dimensional load movements.  The Motor Carrier division oversees nine fixed weigh and inspection stations, 13 weigh-in-motion sites, and numerous turnout locations throughout the state used for inspections and weight enforcement. The division is responsible for developing the state’s size and weight enforcement plan and commercial vehicle safety plan.


Motor Carrier Documents

Truck Routing Maps

Motor Carrier Resources


US DOT Number

Applications for US DOT numbers can be obtained from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Contact them online or call their Bismarck office at (701) 250-4346. There is no charge for a US DOT number.

Uniform County Truck Permits

Obtain permits for non-reducible oversize/overweight vehicles and load movements traveling on county roads in coal, oil, and gas producing counties here.

Solid Waste Transportation Permit

Applications for Solid Waste Transportation permits can be obtained online from the ND Deptartment of Health's Division of Waste Management or at (701) 328-5166.

International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)

North Dakota Department of Transportation’s (NDDOT) International Fuel Tax Agreement program, gives North Dakota motor carriers the option to renew licenses, file quarterly reports, and purchase additional decals. Access NDDOT's motor carrier online services or at (701) 328-2928.

International Registration Plan (IRP)

North Dakota carriers wishing to register motor vehicles under the International Registration Plan (IRP) must call NDDOT's Motor Carrier Services at (701) 328-1287.

Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)

Renewal applications for North Dakota Unified Carrier Registration are available through NDDOT's Motor Carrier UCR Online Renewal System or at (701) 328-1287.