Motor Carrier Operations

Annual Permit Changes - If you purchased an annual permit between March 21, 2019 and May 20, 2019, log into the permit system and reprint your permit.

The expiration date has been updated to be valid for 365 days. This change was made with the passage of Senate Bill 2151.

Download the NDHP Mobile App


Personal Conveyance FAQs

ELD Resources: 

click on the title to view


Truckers Against Trafficking Training video

click on the title to view

Trucking Tip.jpg

June Trucking Tip: Construction season is here! Annual permit holders and those with exemptions should verify over-dimensional restrictions on planned routes daily as construction projects are constantly changing. View the 511 map.

Click here to access e-permits. 

Motor Carrier Operations enhances commercial motor vehicle safety with:

  • Motor Carrier Safety Assistance Program (MCSAP)
  • Border Enforcement Program (BEP)
  • New Entrant Program
  • Size and Weight Enforcement
  • Permitting and the E-permits system

The divisional commander oversees the division and works cooperatively with the NDDOT, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, and the Federal Highway Administration. The operational commander oversees day-to-day activities and supervises two sergeants, eight troopers, and two civilian MCSAP inspectors.

There are three Border Inspection Program troopers and three civilian New Entrant inspectors. The permit office consists of a supervisor and three permit specialists. The size and weight enforcement program has five Motor Carrier Operations troopers and 11 traffic enforcement troopers.

Division goals include:

  • Reducing commercial vehicle crashes by conducting commercial vehicle inspections, safety audits, compliance reviews, and coordinating the permit system.
  • Protecting highway infrastructure through size and weight enforcement and permitting overweight/over-dimensional load movements.

Motor Carrier Operations has nine fixed weigh and inspection stations, thirteen weigh-in-motion sites, and numerous turnout locations in the state that are used for inspections and weight enforcement. Motor Carrier Operations develops the state’s size and weight enforcement plan and commercial vehicle safety plan.

Motor Carrier Documents




Truck Routing Maps

Motor Carrier Resources

US DOT Number: obtained from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (701-250-4346). 

Uniform County Truck Permits: obtained from Western Dakota Energy Association for non-reducible oversize/overweight vehicles and load movements traveling on county roads in coal, oil, and gas producing counties

Solid Waste Transportation Permit: obtained from the ND Department of Health's Division of Waste Management (701-328-5166).

International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA): IFTA gives North Dakota motor carriers the option to renew licenses, file quarterly reports, and purchase additional decals. Access NDDOT's motor carrier online services or at 701-328-1287.

International Registration Plan (IRP): NDDOT's Motor Carrier Services (701-328-1287).

Unified Carrier Registration (UCR): obtained from the Indiana Department of Revenue.