North Dakota Highway Patrol Motor Carrier Operations enhances commercial motor vehicle safety with:
Motor Carrier Safety Assistance Program (MCSAP)
Border Enforcement Program (BEP)
New Entrant Program
Size and Weight Enforcement
Permitting and the E-permits system
MAY TRUCKING TIP: May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month. Truckers and Motorcyclists all love the open road. Remember to Share the Road and BE AWARE of all CMV No Zones. Click to learn more.
The divisional commander oversees the division and works cooperatively with the NDDOT, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, and the Federal Highway Administration. The operational commander oversees day-to-day activities and supervises three sergeants, eight troopers, and two civilian MCSAP inspectors.
There are three Border Inspection Program troopers and three civilian New Entrant inspectors. The permit office consists of a supervisor and three permit specialists. The size and weight enforcement program has five Motor Carrier Operations troopers and 11 traffic enforcement troopers.
Division goals include:
Reducing commercial vehicle crashes by conducting commercial vehicle inspections, safety audits, compliance reviews, and coordinating the permit system.
Protecting highway infrastructure through size and weight enforcement and permitting overweight/over-dimensional load movements.
Motor Carrier Operations has nine fixed weigh and inspection stations, thirteen weigh-in-motion sites, and numerous turnout locations in the state that are used for inspections and weight enforcement. Motor Carrier Operations develops the state’s size and weight enforcement plan and commercial vehicle safety plan.
Motor Carrier Publications
- Motor Carrier Driver's Handbook (January 2020)
- Electronic logging device FAQs
- Regional agriculture transportation handbook (NDSU Upper Great Plains Transportation Institute)
- 30-minute rest break provision
- Anhydrous ammonia regulations
- Annual vehicle inspections
- Rear-end protection
- US DOT numbers
- Weight limitations chart
- Truck weight calculator
Truck Routing Maps
Motor Carrier Resources
- Entry Level Driver Training
- ND Association of Counties Interactive County Map (contact information for county permits)
- Alberta Transportation
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)
- Iowa Motor Carrier Services
- Manitoba Infrastructure and Transportation
- Minnesota Department of Transportation
- Montana Motor Carrier Services
- Nebraska Department of Transportation
- North Dakota Motor Carriers Association
- Saskatchewan Highways and Transportation
- South Dakota Department of Transportation
- Uniform County Truck Permits (ND)
- US DOT Federal Highway Administration
US DOT Number: obtained from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (701-250-4346).
Uniform County Truck Permits: obtained from Western Dakota Energy Association for non-reducible oversize/overweight vehicles and load movements traveling on county roads in coal, oil, and gas-producing counties
Solid Waste Transportation Permit: obtained from the ND Department of Environmental Quality's Division of Waste Management, 701-328-5166.
International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA): IFTA gives North Dakota motor carriers the option to renew licenses, file quarterly reports, and purchase additional decals online. Services are available through the North Dakota Department of Transportation, to access, visit NDDOT's motor carrier online services or call NDDOT 701-328-1287.
International Registration Plan (IRP): this service is available through the North Dakota Department of Transportation, contact NDDOT's Motor Carrier Services, 701-328-1287.
Unified Carrier Registration (UCR): obtained from the UCR website.