Download the NDHP Mobile App
click on the title to view
click on the title to view
FEBRUARY TRUCKING TIP: 10% weight exemption permits are valid on state and US highways through March 7, unless road restrictions have been previously posted. Purchase 10% weight exemption permits at https://apps.nd.gov/ndhp/epermits/login.htm
Click here to access e-permits.
Motor Carrier Operations enhances commercial motor vehicle safety with:
- Motor Carrier Safety Assistance Program (MCSAP)
- Border Enforcement Program (BEP)
- New Entrant Program
- Size and Weight Enforcement
- Permitting and the E-permits system
The divisional commander oversees the division and works cooperatively with the NDDOT, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, and the Federal Highway Administration. The operational commander oversees day-to-day activities and supervises two sergeants, eight troopers, and two civilian MCSAP inspectors.
There are three Border Inspection Program troopers and three civilian New Entrant inspectors. The permit office consists of a supervisor and three permit specialists. The size and weight enforcement program has five Motor Carrier Operations troopers and 11 traffic enforcement troopers.
Division goals include:
- Reducing commercial vehicle crashes by conducting commercial vehicle inspections, safety audits, compliance reviews, and coordinating the permit system.
- Protecting highway infrastructure through size and weight enforcement and permitting overweight/over-dimensional load movements.
Motor Carrier Operations has nine fixed weigh and inspection stations, thirteen weigh-in-motion sites, and numerous turnout locations in the state that are used for inspections and weight enforcement. Motor Carrier Operations develops the state’s size and weight enforcement plan and commercial vehicle safety plan.
Motor Carrier Documents
- Electronic logging device FAQs (updated May 2018)
- Holiday closures & restrictions
- Regional agriculture transportation handbook (NDSU Upper Great Plains Transportation Institute)
- 30-minute rest break provision (pdf)
- Anhydrous ammonia regulations (pdf)
- Annual vehicle inspections (pdf)
- Rear-end protection (pdf)
- Trucker's handbook (pdf)
- US DOT numbers (pdf)
- Weight limitations chart (pdf)
- Truck weight calculator
Truck Routing Maps
Motor Carrier Resources
- ND Association of Counties Interactive County Map (contact information for county permits)
US DOT Number: obtained from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (701-250-4346).
Uniform County Truck Permits: obtained from Western Dakota Energy Association for non-reducible oversize/overweight vehicles and load movements traveling on county roads in coal, oil, and gas producing counties
Solid Waste Transportation Permit: obtained from the ND Department of Health's Division of Waste Management (701-328-5166).
International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA): IFTA gives North Dakota motor carriers the option to renew licenses, file quarterly reports, and purchase additional decals. Access NDDOT's motor carrier online services or at 701-328-1287.
International Registration Plan (IRP): NDDOT's Motor Carrier Services (701-328-1287).
Unified Carrier Registration (UCR): obtained from the Indiana Department of Revenue.