Trip Permit: A temporary trip permit is required in lieu of ND registration. Applies only on vehicles of NON-resident carriers.

North Dakota is a member of the International Registration Plan (IRP).
A 72-hour trip permit must be purchased on out-of-state registered vehicles not registered in the state of ND when traveling on the ND highway system. The 72-hour (3-day) trip permit is $20.

The 72-hour trip permit is required on the vehicle of a nonresident carrier under any one of the following conditions:

  1. Two-axle single unit vehicle exceeding 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW).
  2. A single unit vehicle with more than two axles.
  3. A vehicle combination with a two-axle power unit and a GVW exceeding 26,000 pounds.
  4. A vehicle combination with a power unit of three or more axles.
  5. When any one of the above listed vehicles under items 1, 2, 3 or 4, are not registered under the IRP.
    • Any vehicle having a gross weight greater than what the vehicle is registered for.
  6. All vehicles from the following states and provinces with 3-axles or more including charter buses, and all vehicle combinations with power units with more than 2-axles and exceeding 26,000 pounds GVW or registered GW.
    • Alaska
    • Mexico
    • Northwest Territories
    • Yukon

Vehicles Exempt from the 72-hour Trip Permit

  1. Tourists
  2. Persons transporting their own household goods with their own vehicle for home relocation.
  3. Vehicles registered through reciprocal agreement.
    • Carriers from IRP states or provinces that have original cab cards for their power unit from their base state with ND listed.
    • Reciprocity Agreements with neighboring states/provinces.
  4. All two-axle single unit vehicles weighing 26,000 pounds GVW or less and based licensed in an IRP jurisdiction.
  5. Vehicle combinations with two-axle power unit and a GVW of 26,000 pounds or less.
  6. All charter buses regardless of axles and GVW -- except Mexico, Alaska, Northwest Territories, and Yukon.

Login to E-permits