What is the difference between the Part 395 agriculture exemption and the 100 air mile (short haul) exemption?

FAQ Category
FAQ Answer

The federal regulations show two different exemptions in Part 395:  (1) an agriculture exemption, and (2) a 100 air mile (short haul) exemption. The main difference is that with the 100 air mile exemption the carrier must maintain time records and the property carrying driver can only work 12 hours with 10 hours separating each 12 hour shift; it doesn't matter what type property they are carrying.  With the agriculture exemption, there are no time record keeping requirements when they are loaded, but they must keep time records when empty and be carrying agricultural products.