Fuel Permit: can be purchased in lieu of obtaining an International Fuel Tax License (IFTA). Applies only to vehicles of NON-resident carriers.

North Dakota is a member of the IFTA. Nonresidents may purchase a 72-hour fuel permit in lieu of obtaining an IFTA license for their vehicle. A fuel permit is $15 and valid for 72 hours or when the vehicle leaves the state, whichever occurs first. The fuel permit is valid for one trip only.

The 72-hour fuel permit is required under any one of the following conditions:

  1. Two-axle single unit vehicle exceeding 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW).
  2. A vehicle combination with a two-axle power unit and a GVW exceeding 26,000 pounds.
  3. A single unit vehicle with three or more axles regardless of the weight.
  4. A vehicle combination with a power unit of three or more axles.
  5. When any one of the above listed vehicles under items 1, 2, 3 or 4, do not have an IFTA license.
  6. Carriers from Alaska, Northwest Territories, Yukon or Mexico who have not become a member of IFTA through another jurisdiction.
  7. Nonresident carriers who are operating Intrastate only or working in the state and do not have an IFTA license.

Vehicles Exempt from the Fuel Permit

  1. Vehicles carrying a completed copy of an IFTA license cab cards and a door decal.
  2. All North Dakota base-licensed vehicles.
  3. All two-axle single unit vehicles weighing 26,000 pounds GVW or less.
  4. Vehicle combinations with two-axle power unit and a GVW of 26,000 pounds or less.
  5. ALL Minnesota registered vehicles within the 20-mile free zone. Travel does not have to be by the most direct route.
  6. Minnesota and South Dakota farm registered motor vehicles hauling their own products or supplies for the farm.
  7. Leased vehicles carrying IFTA fuel license cards issued to the leasing companies.
  8. Tourists, motor homes, other recreational vehicles used for personal pleasure.
  9. Persons transporting their own household goods with their own or rented vehicles for home relocation.
  10. Non-highway motorized equipment that is not registered, such as farm tractors, truck crane, and earthmoving equipment.

Login to E-permits