Jan. 1 - Dec. 8, 2014
- An update of road-weight limits and differences between the state interstate systems.
- Laws governing gross weights, axle weights, tire weights, road-restriction weight, and seasonally increased (winter and harvest) weights.
- Road damage issues: how overweight trucks cost us all.
- Overweight truck issues go beyond just gross and axle weights.
- Classroom exercises to help you identify legal weights on your own trucks.
- Do I have the right number tires and tire width for the weight?
- Issues to consider when purchasing a new truck, or altering a current truck.
The North Dakota Highway Patrol’s Automated Permit and Routing System is a solution that assesses roadway restrictions in real-time and calculates safe routes automatically. Permits not subject to approval are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Fees are automatically calculated. Notifications of changing conditions, are sent to drivers with single trip permits, thus saving valuable travel time, and enhancing trip safety.
- User guide for the new automated routing system
- Routing & Permit Tips
- E-permits Help Document
- User Account/Permits Quick Reference
The new online permitting program has additional, user-friendly features to issue permits in a timely manner. Information needed at time of application:
- Axle spacing measurements (axle center to axle center)
- Weight per axle
- Total number of axles - truck and trailer
- Tire width from side wall - millimeters or inches
- Load height, length and width
- Overall height, width, length and gross vehicle weight of truck/trailer with load
- Overhang to front and rear, when applicable
- Trip details including starting and ending locations
- Vehicle year and make
- License plate number and state of issue
- Vehicle identification number (VIN) - last 8 numbers
- ND registered gross weight
- Unit number
- Track width [a specialized trailer-dual lane or side-by-side dollies will be required to upload a diagram/schematic with track width. SFN 59716 (pdf)
Routine Permits available online:
You must log in to purchase the permits listed below.
NDHP Permit Section
ND Department of Transportation building (use the building's east entrance)
608 East Boulevard Ave, Room 139
Monday to Friday, 7:10 a.m. to 4:50 p.m.