nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends

Top Navigation - Left

Are there exemptions for intrastate vehicles/drivers?

Yes, but you must meet the definition of an intrastate driver to take advantage of these exemptions.  NDCC 39-32-02, 39-06.2, and 39-06-14 all provide some type of exemption.

  1. Vehicles less than 26,000 lbs GVWR that are not carrying placarded amounts of HAZMAT nor designed to carry 15 or more passengers (including the driver) are exempt from all federal requirements.
  2. Following 10 hours off duty a driver may drive 12 hours, and a driver may be on duty a total of 70 hours in seven days.
  3. A driver is exempt from maintaining a log book if the operation is within 150 air miles of the normal work reporting location and at least 10 hours off duty separate each 12 hours on duty, and the motor carrier maintains time records for a period of six months.
  4. A driver, 18 years of age, with a valid, proper class license may operate a commercial vehicle in intrastate commerce for agricultural purposes if the transportation is limited to an area within a 100 air mile radius of the source of the commodities or distribution point for the farm supplies.
  5. Farm vehicle drivers operating within a 150 air mile radius of their farm are exempt from CDL requirements, medical certificates, log books, and vehicle inspection records.  NOTE: The CDL exemption does not allow the operation of double or triple trailers or the operation of truck/tractors by drivers under the age of 18.
  6. The transportation of hazardous materials, other than class 2, that are ag products transported by a farmer over local roads between fields of the same farm are exempted from HAZMAT regulations.  A farmer is exempt from training and emergency response information when transporting agricultural class 2 hazardous materials within 150 miles of the farm as long as the quantity is less than 16,094 pounds for ammonium nitrate fertilizer, 502 gallons for liquids, or 5,070 pounds for all other hazardous materials.