A project is a temporary endeavor undertaken to create a unique product, service, or result. Project Management is the application of knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to project activities to meet the project requirements.
- Project Management as a Contracted Service
- Provides customers with experienced project managers that will lead their IT projects.
- Project Management Oversight
- Monitors information technology projects with a budget in excess of $100,000 in accordance with ND Century Code (Chapters 54-10, 54-35, and 54-59), and Enterprise Architecture Standard STD009-05.
- Project Management Templates
- Helps with delivering on-time and within budget by providing practical templates.
Effective IT project management guides the project through a controlled and visible set of activities to achieve project goals while significantly reducing or eliminating risks associated with the project. Additionally, utilizing a professional project manager allows internal staff to continue to concentrate on the business needs of the project without becoming mired in the myriad of management activities required to keep the project on track.
Benefits of properly managed projects
Project management is very important in today's business environment when you consider the risks and potential downsides of poorly executed IT projects. Properly managed projects prepare the organization to mitigate:
- Missed deadlines
- Cost overruns
- Poor quality applications that don't meet end-user expectations
- Conflicts among project team members
- Rework, unclear direction and priorities for the project
- Continuous changes in project scope
- Key tasks that are overlooked
- Poor team morale
- Duplication of effort
ITD's Work Management System (WMS) may be used to submit a Service Request for "Software Dev/GIS/PM/QA."