[nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government]
[North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends]
skip to contentskip to navigation
NDDES Homeland Security State Radio - link home



State Emergency Response Commission

DES Grants

North Dakota State and Local Intelligence Center

NDDES Connect Facebook Twitter RSS

Recovery Section

Disaster Recovery manages and coordinates presidential declared disaster programs including Public Assistance and Hazard Mitigation. Nationally, North Dakota is one of two states that maintain a "managing state" status. The Division of Homeland Security assumes disaster program management responsibilities instead of FEMA; however, coordination with FEMA is an on-going process. When damages during an event exceed the predetermined per capita threshold, a Presidential Declaration results and activates federal disaster recovery programs. Nearly $1.5 billion dollars in assistance have been distributed to local, tribal and state entities since 1993. There are three specific programs that are coordinated through the Disaster Recovery Section

The Public Assistance Program (PA) provides aid to state or local governments to pay part of the costs of repair or rebuild a community's damaged public infrastructure, public buildings, and public parks to pre-disaster condition. Generally, public assistance programs pay for 75 percent of the approved project costs. Public Assistance may include debris removal, emergency protective measures and public services, repair of damaged public property, loans needed by communities for essential government functions and grants for public schools. The remaining 25 percent is a shared state and local responsibility.

The Individual and Households and Other Needs Assistance Program (IA) provides funding assistance up to predetermined limits for home damage repair, transportation repair or replacement, and funeral expenses. IA provides several areas of assistance to include limited funding for crisis counseling, unemployment assistance, and loans from the Small Business Administration. IA funds will not duplicate any funds being covered by insurance or any other federal program. IA funds are restricted in total amount that will be paid out. The cost share equates to 75 percent federal and 25 percent state.

The Unified Hazard Mitigation Assistance Program (HMA) provides funding for projects that will reduce or permanently eliminate future risk to lives and property. Home acquisition from floodways and floodplains, infrastructure protective measures (roads and bridges), storm water management (culverts, diversions, flap gates, foodgates, detention basins, and other local flood control measures), and mitigation planning are examples of the many types of qualifying projects.

There are three specific programs funded through the Unified HMA program: Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP), Pre-Disaster Mitigation Grant Program (PDM), and the Flood Mitigation Grant Program (FMA). The federal cost share is 75 percent. Depending on the program, the remaining 25 percent is a state and/or local responsibility.

Fraine Barracks Lane - Building 35
PO Box 5511
Bismarck, ND 58504
T: 701.328.8100
F: 701.328.8181
Toll Free: 800.773.3259

Hazard Mitigation Toolbox

Use the links below for information regarding hazard mitigation:

ND Multi-Hazard Mitigation Plan - Current

Choosing a Mitigation Plan Contractor

2014-2016 - Progress Report: Mitigation in North Dakota

Disaster Recovery Toolbox

Labor, equipment, materials, contract, and benefit calculation forms

Hazard Mitigation and Public Assistance GIS Tool

Use the following tool to look up historical site data specific to Public Assistance and Hazard Mitigation projects in North Dakota:


GIS Guide


ND Response to the 1997 Disaster
File Size: 1975.52 kb

File Size: 1497.57 kb

Enhanced Mitigation Plan
File Size: 69516.33 kb

Enhanced Mitigation - Mission Area Operations Plan

Fact Sheet - Disaster Recovery Section
File Size: 53.26 kb

Flood Recovery Report-2011
File Size: 2062.64 kb

Labor Equipment Materials Contract and Benefit Calculation Forms
File Size: 594 kb

North Dakota Mitigation MAOP_Adjudication Matrix
File Size: 18.28 kb

Presidential Disaster Declarations - 1993-2017
File Size: 189.81 kb

This site updated as of 6/17/2019.