Procurement Training and Delegation
Agency Procurement Liaison
Each agency head is asked to complete a SFN 53112 Procurement Liaison Designation form to designate one or more persons to act as the agency’s lead procurement officer and liaison to the State Procurement Office.
Procurement Officer Delegated Purchase Authority
OMB may delegate purchase authority to state agencies. Agency heads may delegate purchase authority to employees based upon the procurement certification training completed using the SFN 2566 Delegation of Purchase Authority form. For questions about delegation and training, email the SPO or call 701.328.2740. See Procurement Officer Certification Training for more information.
Recertification Training Requirements
July 1 – December 31, 2018 will be a transition period for Procurement Officers to take recertification training due to the threshold change. Recertification training will be available later in August 2018.
New Purchasing Card (p-card) Holders: OMB has granted a blanket provisional delegation of authority for employees who have not taken the new Level 1 training and need to be issued a state p-card. Agency heads must ensure that the employee is familiar with the thresholds and Level 1 manual, and that purchases made by employees who have not completed procurement training are supervised by a certified procurement officer. These employees can take the Level 1 training when it becomes available and must complete it by December 31, 2018.
By December 31, 2018, all employees who have been delegated purchasing authority must have completed the new online Level 1 Procurement Officer Course. All employees who are delegated Level 2, 3, and 4 authority must additionally take the new online OMB Procurement Officer Recertification Course. By December 31, 2018, employees must receive an updated delegation of purchase authority from their agency head or designee using Delegation of Purchase Authority Form, SFN 2566 or other documentation method. Employees who use p-cards only for travel expenses do NOT need recertification training.
Employees who currently have procurement certification and delegation can continue to conduct procurements. OMB has granted provisional certification allowing employees to have the following authority until the recertification training is completed.
- Level 1 Micro: Employees with a current Level 1 certification for up to $2,500 have provisional certification for Level 1 purchases less than $10,000.
- Level 2 Small: Employees with a current Level 2 certification for up to $25,000 have provisional certification for Level 2 purchases less than $50,000.
- Level 3 Informal: Employees with a current Level 3 certification for $25,000 and over have provisional certification for Level 3 purchases less than $100,000.
- Level 4 Formal: Employees with a current Level 3 certification for $25,000 and over have provisional certification for Level 4 purchases of $100,000 and over.
OMB Blanket Delegated Authority
Effective July 1, 2018, OMB has delegated the following blanket authority to the heads of agencies and institution subject to procurement laws, rules, and OMB guidelines:
- Goods and Services. Agencies may purchase goods and services, regardless of the dollar amount.
- Printing. Agencies may purchase printing less than $5,000 subject to the Guidelines to Print Procurement. Submit a Purchase Request for printing $5,000 and over using the Procurement Work Request System.
- Information Technology (IT). Agencies may purchase Information Technology, subject to the Guidelines for Information Technology Procurement. IT purchase $25,000 and over must be reviewed by the Information Technology Department. Procurement Officers for major IT projects $500,000 and over must receive a special purchasing delegation from OMB. (NDCC 54-35-15.2)
- Alternate Procurements. Alternate Procurement documentation is not required for limited and noncompetitive purchases less than $10,000. Alternate Procurement approval is required for purchases $10,000 and over that deviate from the purchasing threshold competition requirements based on the estimated dollar value. Agencies must submit a SFN 51403 Alternate Procurement Form to the State Procurement Office using the Procurement Work Request System. The Alternate Procurement must be approved by the State Procurement Office prior to the purchase.
This purchase authority is in effect until otherwise revoked by OMB.