nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends
Skip Navigation
Document signing

If You Have Employees

Register your Federal Employer Identification Number

You must have a valid Federal Employer ID Number (FEIN) from the IRS before registering your business type in the state of North Dakota. A FEIN is not required if a business is a sole proprietorship without any employees, without a KEOGH plan (a tax-deferred retirement savings plan for people who are self-employed), and if the sole proprietor does not file excise tax forms such as those for sales tax, alcohol, or tobacco. However, a sole proprietor who is a household employer (such as with domestic workers like maids, nannies, drivers) in their private home it is required to obtain an FEIN.

Other Requirements:

As an employer, you may have labor, safety, and tax obligations. The information below will help you find the information you need to meet your obligations with the State of North Dakota.

Department of Labor Requirements
Employers are required to know their responsibilities under state labor laws and to display certain posters in the work place.
Income Tax Withholding Guidelines and Registration
If you currently have, or plan to have employees performing services within North Dakota you should read the withholding guidelines.
North Dakota Child Support Employer Information
Employers can go here to learn about their legal requirements related to the Child Support program, online new hire reporting, and electronic remittal of payments.
Unemployment Insurance Tax Requirements
If you hire workers you may be required to provide unemployment insurance coverage for them.
Workforce Safety & Insurance
Workers compensation is mandatory for most employment.
 Get Adobe Acrobat Reader
Tested for W3C WAI AA Accessibility Tested for W3C Well-Formed XHTML Code Tested for W3C Well Formed Cascading Style Sheet Code