nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends

Property Tax Exemption

Benefit Category: State

A disabled veteran of the United States armed forces with an armed forces service-connected disability of 50% or greater, who was discharged under honorable conditions or who has been retired from the armed forces of the United States, or the un-remarried surviving spouse if the disabled veteran is deceased, is eligible for a credit applied against the first one hundred twenty thousand dollars of true and full valuation of the fixtures, buildings, and improvements of the person's homestead equal to the percentage of the disabled veteran's disability compensation rating for service-connected disabilities as certified by the department of veterans affairs for the purpose of applying for a property tax exemption.

Exemption should be at highest percentage veteran is compensated. If veteran is compensated higher than combined rating the exemption should be at the higher rate. Example: if combined rating is between 50 and 90 but the veteran is compensated at 100% due to Individual Un-employability.  The Veteran’s exemption should be at 100%. Attorney Generals opinion 2008-L12

NDCC 57-02-08.8 (page 18) (pdf)

How to apply:

  1. Provide a copy of the DD Form 214 showing veteran's honorable discharge from active military service if claiming exemption for first time. Requesting a copy of your DD214.
  2. Provide a certificate from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying to the percentage of service-connected disability when claiming exemption for the first time, or if the veteran receives a change in the percentage of certified rated service-connected disability. Contact your Veteran Service Officer. You can also get a letter from the VA by calling 1-800-827-1000 and ask for a property tax letter. This letter will be sent directly to the Veteran.
  3. Complete Application form. Can be completed online and printed.
  4. Submit required documents to your Tax assessor/ Tax equalization office by February 1 when applying for first time, when your disability rating changes, and when requested to do so there after. Your County may or may not require annual applications be submitted. Find your county assessor Tax equalization office

Discharge Requests

Most Veteran’s benefits require that applicants provide a copy of their Form DD 214 or discharge record, which is evidence of their veteran status. This is an important document and must be safeguarded. In the State of North Dakota separation documents are considered confidential and privileged NDCC 37-18-11. National Guard members will receive an NGB22 and/or NGB23 upon separation. 


These links are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by the ND Department of Veterans Affairs of any of the products, services, or opinions of the corporation, organization, or individual. The ND Department of Veterans Affairs bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality, or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.