State Health Insurance Counseling Program (SHIC)
The State Health Insurance Counseling Program (SHIC) offers free help with Medicare and other health insurance. Trained counselors who work through local sponsoring organizations can help answer your questions. SHIC counselors have no connection with any insurance company or product.
SHIC counselors are trained in all aspects of senior insurance issues, such as Medicare, Medicare Part D and Medicare Advantage plans.
SHIC receives funding from the Administration for Community Living (ASL). The program helps Medicare beneficiaries understand Medicare. If you receive Medicare, counselors can help you with:
To schedule an appointment or to locate the SHIC program sponsor nearest you, please contact us.
- Paperwork and statements: understand paperwork and statements that you receive after a doctor visit, hospital stay or other experience.
- Bills: sort out and reconcile statements, hospital or clinic bills and help you figure out what has been paid and what you need to pay.
- Claims filing and appeals: claims filing or appeals if payment has been denied.
- Options for coverage: options for private insurance or to supplement your Medicare, such as Part D plans, Medicare Supplement plans or Medicare Advantage plans.
- Options for the future: review and understand long-term care insurance and offer you tools to help make the right choice for you.
888.575.6611 toll free
800.366.6888 TTY line
If you need assistance with translation or communication, please contact SHIC at 1-888-575-6611. This is a free service offered to all SHIC program participants.
Watch this video on YouTube
Watch a 30-second video about SHIC and Prescription Connection