Parole and Probation: Pardon Advisory Board
PARDON ADVISORY BOARD
The Pardon Advisory Board became effective on August 1, 1997. Prior to that the board was known as the Pardon Board.
The Pardon Advisory Board with concurrence of the governor has the authority to grant the following: Commutation, Conditional Pardon, Pardon, Remission of fine and a Reprieve.
The Pardon Advisory Board makes recommendations to the governor, and any action taken is not official until signed by the governor.
The Pardon Advisory Board is not an administrative agency as defined by the NDCC, and is not subject to the Administrative Agencies Practice Act.
The governor appoints the board members, but by statute the Attorney General is one of the five members, as are two members of the Parole Board. The other two members are appointed at large. At the present time the board members are:
Wayne Stenehjem, Attorney General
Duane DeKrey, Chairman of Pardon Advisor Board
The Pardon Advisory Board meets two times a year (April and November). The meeting dates for the year 2014 are:
Pardon Advisory Board Dates: April 7, November 3.
Cases eligible for Pardon Advisory Board review are individuals who have committed a crime and were convicted in a North Dakota court of law. (Excludes federal offenses, traffic offense and tribal offenses.)
For more information, review policy or contact Janice Young at 701-328-6193.
- Offenders in the DOCR custody (inmates) or on parole or probation supervision with the DOCR.
- Inmates who have no legal remedy through the Parole Board may be eligible for review by the Pardon Advisory Board providing that review does not conflict with any provisions of the policy.
- Persons not in the custody of, or under the supervision of the DOCR.
- The applicant must have encountered a significant problem with the consequences of the conviction or sentence (e.g. inability to obtain or maintain licensures or certifications necessary for employment.)
- In very limited circumstances, the Board may consider applications from individuals who present a compelling need for relief as a result of unusual circumstances not otherwise specified in the above eligibility criteria.
Clerk, Pardon Advisory Board,
Division of Adult Services
P.O. Box 1898,
Bismarck, ND. 58502-1898
For more information regarding the Pardon Advisory Board, contact Janice Young at 701-328-6193.