|Address||2521 Circle Drive Jamestown, ND 58401|
Warden, James River Correctional Center
|Phone and fax||Phone: (701) 253-3660
||Fax: (701) 253-3735|
Provide a safe environment to learn and practice skills necessary to be successful in the community.
The James River Correctional Center (JRCC) is a medium custody facility that houses male inmates and is part of the North Dakota Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.
The facility opened in June of 1998 and is the result of renovating a building formerly used by the North Dakota State Hospital which was built in 1936. The legislature appropriated $6,318,641 for the project. $5,658,839 came from a Federal Crime Bill Construction grant, $36,112 from special funds, and $623,690 from state general funds. This medium security facility is the first prison built since the maximum-security facility opened in Bismarck in 1885. The current two-year budget including salaries is about 15 million dollars.
The main building (known as the ET building) is a six-floor structure with 87,530 square feet, which has a maximum designed capacity of 365 inmates. First floor consists of offices for the Chief of Security, Unit Manager, Safety Officer, Captains, Chaplain, and contains the Medical Service Department. There are five patient rooms and five disciplinary detention cells on this floor as well. Second, third, fourth, and fifth floors have 14,500 square feet and are identical in construction. They house up to 80 inmates each. Sixth floor has approximately 5,000 square feet and contains 24 general housing beds, seven secure cells and four observations cells. The fifth and sixth floors opened July 23, 2001. Funding was approved by the 2005 legislature to convert the old kitchenettes on floors two through five to a five-person dorm and a two-person dorm on sixth floor. These new beds will added 22 inmates to our existing capacity in July 2006.
The majority of the female inmates were moved to New England in November of 2003 with the remaining higher custody female inmates remaining until August 2004. JRCC was filled to capacity with male inmates and changed its daily operational schedule to reflect the change from a co-ed facility to an all male institution. This change reduced tensions and allowed for a reduction in security protocols that were no longer required.
The Special Assistance Unit (formerly called the Forensics Unit or High Security) can house up to 24 inmates. This unit opened in November 2002 and houses inmates who are seriously mentally ill and provides special treatment and programming to fit their needs. There are 28 staff in this unit that include a Psychologist, three licensed Social Workers, Nursing staff, a Case Manager, three Caseworkers, Correctional Officers, and an Office Assistant. There are 36,000 square feet in this unit.
The gym and a secure recreation yard provide important relief for inmates. The gym is about 18,000 square feet. The gym is located in the Amusement Hall which also houses the Library, Law Library, and Music room.
Rough Rider Industries has a building on the grounds with 10,000 square feet.
In July 2003 a food service and laundry operation was transferred from the NDSH to JRCC. The food services building is approximately 29,700 square feet and was built in 1925. Fourteen staff including a Food Service II are responsible for planning and preparing over 1400 meals per day for the JRCC and an additional 800 meals for the State Hospital patients.
The laundry building is approximately 19,600 square feet and was built in 1938. Laundry services for the JRCC and the North Dakota State Hospital and provided.
An engineering building was also added in July 2003. It has 14,210 square feet. Five maintenance positions were transferred at that time.
The Warden, Administrative Staff Officer, Administrative Assistant, Office Assistants, and the Business Office are located in a building outside of the perimeter. Their offices opened in this building in February of 2002 and moved to the first floor of the building in March 2005. In 2006 offices were added for the Training Director, Human Resource Officer, and Business Manager.
A fence was connected to the east side of the administrative building and a visiting room was opened on the first floor in September of 2005 to allow easier access to the visiting room and eliminate traffic through the Special Assistance Unit.
The 2005 legislature granted funding to bring the education/programming building in compliance with ADA by approving funding for an elevator.
Effective January 1, 2010, the total staffing is 170 full time authorized positions which include the following: one Warden, Chief of Security, Administrative Staff Officer, Psychologist, Corrections Program Administrator, Administrative Assistant, Safety Officer, and Chaplain; two Unit Managers and Instructors; four Social Workers, Addiction Counselors, Food Service Directors, and Lieutenants; three Office Assistants and Addiction Counselors; five Captains and Human Relations Counselors; five Correctional Case Managers; 18 Correctional Caseworkers; and 103 Correctional Officers.
Staff that are assigned to the DOCR Central Office but work at the JRCC are as follows: one Director of Nursing, Carpenter, Electrician, Plumber, Training Director, Plant Services Director, Business Manager, and Human Resource Officer; seven and one half Registered Nurses; two maintenance supervisors and Account Technicians; and a one half time office assistant.
There are five staff employed with JRCC Rough Rider Industries. RRI took over the commissary functions for JRCC, MRCC, NDSP, and DWCRC in July 2010. They employee one full time and two part time staff members and are located at JRCC. The commissary is housed in the central receiving area of the North Dakota State Hospital along with the JRCC property office.
JRCC also employees the following temporary positions: a half-time plumber, a part-time maintenance worker for the administration building, a GED instructor, a part-time works skills instructor, and temporary correctional officers.