nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends
NDDHS logo ND Child Support Enforcement image

Child Support Division

Services: Enforcement Services Frequently Asked Questions

Regional Child Support Units

Regional Child Support Units Site Map

Q. What Is North Dakota's Child Support Program?

A. North Dakota's Child Support program is a joint effort by federal and state governments to secure support for children whose parents are absent from the home. The Child Support program serves recipients of Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF, formerly Aid to Families with Dependent children (AFDC)) recipients of Medicaid, and others who specifically request the services of Child Support (Non-TANF). Many of the services are provided at the local level by Regional Child Support Units.

Q. What Does The Child Support Program Do?

A. The Child Support program, with information from the applicant and other sources, begins the process of securing support by locating the obligor, establishing paternity, and establishing or enforcing the support obligation.

If the location of the obligor is unknown, the Parent Locator Service will contact parents, employers, governmental agencies, and other sources to obtain additional information leading to the obligor's whereabouts.

If a child's father has not been legally identified, Child Support will assist in establishing paternity. Paternity may establish a child's legal right to Social Security, veterans benefits, inheritances, and other benefits.

If a court order is already in existence, Child Support, with the aid of the clerks of court throughout the state, will proceed to enforce it. If a support order has not been established, Child Support will attempt to secure and enforce a support obligation.

Child Support also provides the service of reviewing orders for potential adjustment of the support award, either upward or downward, using North Dakota child support guidelines. Such a review may be requested by either parent by writing to the Regional Child Support Unit.

Attorneys that work with the Regional Child Support Units represent the interests of the people of the State of North Dakota and not the obligee or obligor. Therefore, there is no attorney-client relationship or privilege created between Child Support program attorneys and the obligee or obligor.

Information given by the applicant and obtained by Child Support is used for purposes directly connected with the administration of the program. Information may be dislosed to, and used by, public officials who require such information in connection with their duties.

Q. What Are The Responsibilities Of The Applicant?

A. The applicant must cooperate in identifying the obligor, locating the obligor, and establishing paternity. The applicant must also cooperate in obtaining support payments, other payments, or property due such applicant or child. These responsibilities are the same for an individual whether he or she has assigned the payments to the North Dakota Department of Human Services or is simply requesting services from Child Support. If a TANF or Medicaid recipient fails to cooperate with Child Support, TANF and Medicaid benefits could be reduced or terminated.

Q. What Happens If An Individual Does Not Agree With The Services Provided By The Child Support Program?

A. The Child Support program has an informal grievance process that an individual can use to ask for a review of the services provided by the program. Information and a copy of the form needed to start the informal grievance process may be obtained by contacting one of the Regional Child Support Units.

Q. What If Immediate Support Is Needed?

A. The North Dakota Department of Human Services and county social service boards can grant TANF pending the establishment of a court order. As a requirement of eligibility, the TANF applicant must assign all present and future child support rights to the North Dakota Department of Human Services. These collections reduce the state's expenditures for public assistance. Any TANF parent working with Child Support who knowingly receives and keeps a child support payment can be prosecuted for fraud.

The location of a obligor may result in sufficient monthly support payments to eliminate a family's need for TANF. Future monthly support payments will then be paid to the child's caretaker rather than kept by the state. Child Support can continue to enforce the child support payments even after the family leaves TANF, if the family so wishes.

Q. How Long Does It Take To Get A Support Order Established?

A. The length of time needed to establish a support order may vary from a few weeks to several months. This depends on the workload of the Regional Child Support Units, the cooperation of the obligor and many other factors.

Q. What If Payments Are Not Made On The Support Order?

A. The Child Support program and the clerk of court's office are primarily responsible to ensure that the court order is enforced and that the court is notified if collection efforts fail. If payments are not paid as ordered, civil or criminal enforcement can result.

Q. Discrimination Prohibited

A. The Department of Human Services makes available all services and assistance without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, political beliefs, disability or status with respect to marriage or public assistance. The Department of Human Services makes its programs accessible to persons with disabilities. Persons needing accommodation or who have questions or complaints regarding the provision of services should contact their Regional Child Support Unit or the Central Office of Child Support (701) 328-3582 or Toll Free in ND (800) 755-8530 or TTY (800) 366-6888.

How To Apply

You may use this web site to apply for services. Also, anyone who would like an application for services may contact a Regional Child Support Unit. Connecting to the site map should help determine which RCSU is nearest you. An application fee for these Non-TANF services is mandated by the federal government.

Bismarck RCSU
Provident Life Building
316 N 5th St Ste 300
Bismarck, ND 58501
Phone: (701) 328-0955
TYY: (800) 366-6888

Devils Lake RCSU
1820 Walnut St East, Suite 4
Devils Lake, ND 58301-3411
Phone: (701) 665-4475
TYY: (800) 366-6888

Dickinson RCSU
135 Sims Street #202
Dickinson, ND 58601-5141
Phone: (701) 227-7424
TYY: (800) 366-6888

Fargo RCSU
4950 13th Ave S Ste 22
Fargo, ND 58103
Phone: (701) 298-4900
TYY: (800) 366-6888

Grand Forks RCSU
151 South 4th Street N101
Grand Forks, ND 58201
Phone: (701)-787-8575

Jamestown RCSU
804 13th Street NE
Jamestown, ND 58401
Phone: (701) 253-6260

Minot RCSU
325 28th Avenue SW, Suite C
Minot, ND 58701
Phone: (701) 857-7696
TYY: (800) 366-6888

Williston RCSU
202 Main St, Lower Level
Williston, ND 58801
Phone: (701) 774-7940
TYY: (800) 366-6888


Return to the top of the page Top of page   Go back to the previous page Back to previous page

 Get Adobe Acrobat Reader Tested for W3C WAI AA Accessibility Tested for W3C Well-Formed XHTML Code Tested for W3C Well Formed Cascading Style Sheet Code