Reuben T. Guenthner Scholarship
The Reuben T. Guenthner Scholarship is given in memory of Reuben T. Guenthner, a leader in career and technical education at both state and national levels. Mr. Guenthner was first a career and technical education student, then a secondary career and technical education instructor, a local administrator supportive of career and technical education programs, and finally a member of the North Dakota Department of Career and Technical Education from 1968 to 1995. Mr. Guenthner was appointed to the National Advisory Council on Career Education by President Reagan in 1982. At the time of his retirement in 1995, Mr. Guenthner was the North Dakota State Director of Career and Technical Education.
Two scholarships in the amount of $350 each will be awarded in May, 2015, to be used for the 2015-2016 school year. The scholarship is not renewable.
The applicant must meet all of the following requirements:
- Be a graduating senior from a North Dakota high school in 2015;
- Have completed one or more career and technical education courses between grades 9 and 12; (Career and Technical Education courses may be in any of the following programs; Agriculture Education, Business and Office Technology; Family and Consumer Sciences; Information Technology; Marketing Education; Technology and Engineering Education; or any of the programs in Trade, Industry, Technical and Health Careers.)
- Enroll in a two-year North Dakota public postsecondary institution;
- Enroll as a full-time student in a career and technical education program of two years or less.
Procedure for Applying
Submit an application package containing the following items:
- Completed and signed application form;
- Three letters of recommendation supporting the character and achievements of the applicant, with at least one recommendation from an instructor. The other letters may be from employers, advisors, or anyone other than family who has significant information about the applicant;
- High School transcript
Deadline for Applying - April 1, 2015
Applications must be mailed or delivered to the address provided on the application. Incomplete applications or applications postmarked after April 1, 2015, will not be considered.
If you have questions about completing the application, contact:
Phone: (701) 328-2286
Applications will be rated on the following items:
- Postsecondary Intent/Career Goals (reasons for choosing this goal; plans after completing education)
- Leadership Experiences (especially involvement in career and technical student organizations and responsibilities assumed as a member, officer, committee chair, etc.)
- School and Community Involvement
- Work Experience
- General Appearance (neatness, spelling, legibility, etc.—please do not submit handwritten applications)
Announcement of Award
The recipient of the scholarship will be notified in mid-May. Scholarship funds will be released to the postsecondary institution upon verification of the recipient's enrollment.
Donating to the Scholarship Fund
The Reuben T. Guenthner Scholarship is funded by income from funds invested in the North Dakota Career and Technical Education Endowment Fund within the North Dakota Community Foundation.
Donations to the fund are always welcome. Quite often, donations are made in honor/memory of someone or they come from professional CTE organizations.
Contribution Form (pdf)