nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends

37-01-34: Recordation of discharge papers.

An individual discharged from any branch of the armed forces of the United States may record, without payment of any fee, that individual's discharge from the armed forces, a certificate issued in lieu of the discharge, duly authenticated and certified copies of the discharge or certificate, or duly certified records of that individual's service and discharge from the armed forces in the office of the recorder of the county in which that individual resides, unless the board of county commissioners designates a different official. Any discharge document recorded by the recorder, or designated official, may be made available only to the following persons: the veteran, the parents, the veteran's next of kin, the veteran's legal representative, a county veterans' service officer, a veterans' organization service officer, the department of veterans' affairs, or a designee of the veteran.