Tips for Job Seekers
Here are some helpful hints to assist you in seeking employment with the State of North Dakota:
- Read the job posting thoroughly.
- Follow the instructions carefully on the "Application Procedures" section of the job posting:
- Include all application materials requested in the "Application Procedures". Failure to include a required form or document may cause your application to be rejected.
- Take note of the closing date and have your application completed before the posting closes.
- Complete the application form completely. Provide detail - do not use "see resume" on the online application form.
- Include a list of references with your resume and do not state on your resume, "References available upon request." The best references include former managers/supervisors, co-workers, and college instructors/advisors. It's a good idea to ask your references for permission to use their names prior to including them on your reference list.
- Clearly detail how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications of the position in your cover letter. Also, indicate how your education and experience relate to the summary of work.
- Proofread all your application materials. These documents represent your first impression to the agency. Misspelled words and poor grammar do not make a good first impression.
- If you are claiming veterans' preference, provide the required documents as listed on the application.
- Once you see a job posting for which you wish to apply, click on Sign In or New User in the upper right corner of the job openings page (see link at the very top of this page).
By following these tips, you will increase your chances of getting an interview and a job with the State of North Dakota. Good luck in your job search!