- Bismarck was known as the Missouri Crossing or some just called it "The Crossing". A couple miles south of "The Crossing" was another town called Burleigh Town, which would also be within Bismarck. May 14, 1872 it was christened Edwinton until July 17, 1873 when it became Bismarck.
- Burleigh County was organized during July 1873.
- The first train arrived in Bismarck in July 1873
- In 1898 there was a huge fire on Main Street, everything between 3rd and 4th street was gone.
- The oldest building in Bismarck is located at 101 West Main Avenue, Camp Hancock.
- In 1881 the spring flood was so bad that large river boats were able to dock where Borrowed Buck's Roadhouse (formerly Cole Papers building) is currently located on South 3 Street.
- 4th street was called "Murderer's Gulch"
- The first automobile on the streets of Bismarck was in 1905.
- The first paved road went from Mandan through Bismarck to the penitentiary in 1911.