State Government Student Internship Program
The ND State Government Student Internship Program brings students into state government where they will gain an understanding of governmental processes while being introduced to the increasingly complex challenges facing North Dakota. The program has been developed to help students gain practical training and hands-on, real world experience while satisfying educational goals and preparing for a professional career.
For the student the program offers pre-professional work experiences in various occupational fields. Following are comments from past student interns:
- I have always learned best by applying the information I have been taught throughout school. This internship has given me the hands-on experience I needed to meld the school plus experience together. I have told classmates in the other cohorts to apply to this consortium as it give you the best opportunities. We have the prison, the state hospital, and a human service center in town and each is a great learning experience. – Addiction Counseling
- I am studying Museum Registration currently. This internship was everything I wanted and more. It perfectly complimented my studies. – Museum Division at the State Historical Society
- Amazing opportunities to gain a deep understanding of the North Dakota education system; especially pertinent given Common Core controversy and the upcoming Legislative Session. – Department of Public Instruction
The internship provides an opportunity for the hiring agency to acquire a new source of new ideas and talent for an agency. Following are comments from agencies about the internship program:
- It is a great program that allows college students to acquire experience in their fields as well as fulfilling credit requirements. The state is rewarded with professional work and good public relations nation-wide. – SHS
- This was LMI Center's first exposure to an internship. The interns did an excellent job, and represented the program very well. She brought energy and an excellent attitude along with her to the position. As well, she contributed greatly to the Oil & Gas project that she was hired to work on. Her quality of work, and writing skills, were also at a very high level. I was very pleased with the whole experience and wish her the best on future endeavors. – JS, LMI
The State Government Student Internship Program is designed to integrate education with practical experience. It is an opportunity for a student engaged in a specific course of study to assist an agency with a project or initiative related to the student’s academic work. The Internship Stipend Program will help supplement the funds agencies have available so students can more readily be hired.
The purpose of hiring an intern is to provide the student with knowledge of and professional experience in those job duties and skills within a specific ND state government executive branch agency (excluding Higher Education) that match their collegiate background. The intern’s job duties must be related to the intern’s academic career goal or field of study. A student intern should not be used as a mere “gopher” or to only perform basic, repetitive clerical tasks such as filing, copying, or delivering mail.
- Creating a Work Plan
- Financial Assistance to the Agency
- Posting the Intern Opening
- Student Eligibility Requirements
- Welcoming an Intern
For further information regarding internships in state government contact HRMS Internship Coordinator at email@example.com or 701.328.3290.