Government Supply Sources

Purchasing from Government Sources

State agencies can purchase from government sources without obtaining competition. Some sources are also available to political subdivision.

  • State agencies and government entities  State agencies can contract directly with correctional institutions and other government entities. (NDCC 54-44.4-05.2)
  • State Contracts  Contracts for commodities and services available to state agencies, and many contracts are available to political subdivisions.
  • Central Supply  Provides office supplies to state agencies.
  • State Surplus Property  Distributes state and federal surplus property to state entities, political subdivisions, and eligible nonprofits.
  • Central Duplicating  Provides printing and mailing services to state agencies.
  • Rough Rider Industries (RRI)  All products made by RRI may be purchased directly by governmental and tribal agencies. (NDCC 12-48-03.1)
    • RRI offers vinyl and aluminum “Smoking Prohibited” signs that comply with NDCC 23-12-104.
  • Information Technology Department  Provides a variety of IT services.

Cooperative Purchasing

State law allows OMB to enter into cooperative purchasing agreements and purchase under contracts established by the federal General Services Administration, other government entities, and cooperative purchasing organizations. Submit an Alternate Procurement to State Procurement using the Purchasing Work Request System.  State Procurement must comply with the requirements of NDCC 54-44.4-13.

Work Activity Centers

State law allows any state entity or political subdivision to contract directly with work activity centers (NDCC 25-16.2-01.1): “It is in the public interest to advance employment opportunities to individuals with disabilities so that those individuals may acquire job skills and training and gain greater independence and quality of life. This state is committed to promoting self-sufficiency, integrating individuals with disabilities into our communities, and maximizing the earning potential of individuals with disabilities.”

Current list of Work Activity Centers including the goods and services they offer.

A “work activity center” is a facility, licensed by the Department of Human Services, which is located in the state and operated by a nonprofit corporation organized for the primary purpose of employing and providing rehabilitative activities for individuals with physical disabilities, developmental disabilities, or chronic mental illnesses (NDCC 25-16.2-01).

If acceptable commodities or services are produced or provided by a work activity center at fair market price, any state entity or political subdivision may enter a contract to purchase directly from the work activity center without obtaining competition (NDCC 25-16.2-04).

For questions about work activity centers, please contact the State Procurement Office at 701.328.2683.

1122 Program

This federal program allows state and local units of government to access specific Government Services Administration (GSA) schedules for purchasing in support of counter drug, emergency response, or homeland security activities. Orders must be placed through the State Point of Contact (SPOC), who is selected by the Governor. Please contact the State Procurement Office at 701.328.1721 for questions.