The Real Sounds of Hearing Loss: Shots - Health News: NPR
For the hearing-impaired, sounds are quieter, but they can also be fuzzier and maddeningly distorted. Listen to these audio clip simulations of what that kind of hearing loss sounds like.
The North Dakota School for the Deaf/Resource Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing provides direct comprehensive audiological services to all students attending NDSD/RCDHH.
Hearing Loss Defined:
- "What's the difference between a deaf and hard of hearing person?"
- Definitions of hearing loss categories
- Definitions of late deafened
- Definition of hearing loss from the Mayo Clinic
Signs of Hearing Loss
Learn about social, emotional, and medical signs indicating that you might have a hearing loss.
- Getting your hearing tested: If you suspect hearing loss, how do you get tested?
Hearing Loss Prevention
- Prevention of hearing loss from noise exposure
- Noise and Hearing Loss Prevention from the CDC
- "How loud is too loud?"
- Noise and Hearing Loss Prevention from the American Speech-Language- Hearing Association
- Noise-Induced Hearing Loss and Its Prevention
- What is noise-induced hearing loss?
Impact of hearing loss
- The impact of treated hearing loss on quality of life
- Untreated hearing loss linked to depression, anxiety, social isolation in seniors
- Sudden onset of hearing loss
- Support for late-deafened adults
- Personal and social identity
- Psychological Effects of Hearing Loss in Teens - Research intensive report by Ann Steele, a professional MF therapist, on the psychological effects of hearing loss on kids and teens. The article includes a PDF which paints a portrait of teenage hearing loss, complete with possible causes, distinctions between various types of hearing loss, and the role of speech and hearing in social identity.
Resources to learn speech reading
- Best Hearing Aids for 2017 Consumer resource guide includes brand comparisons, important features, different types and hundreds of verified consumer reviews.
- Hearing Aids Additional information on different kinds, what to consider when purchasing
Senior Guidance - an organization dedicated to providing senior living assistance to the elderly. In addition to providing a number of helpful senior living resources and articles, we enable seniors and caregivers to search and find 40,000+ long term care facilities in more than 7,500 cities across the United States.
- Alport Syndrome
- Auditory Neuropathy
- Auditory Processing Disorder
- Attention Deficit Disorder
- Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease
- Branchio-oto-renal Syndrome
- Cerebral Palsy
- CHARGE Syndrome
- Disorders and syndromes associated with hearing loss
- Down Syndrome
- Goldenhar Syndrome
- Hearing Loss and Balance
- Intellectual Disability
- Jervell & Lange-Nielsen Syndrome
- Learning Disabilities
- Meniere's disease
- Mitochondrial deafness
- Noise-Induced Hearing Loss
- Pendred Syndrome
- Stickler Syndrome
- Sudden onset of hearing loss
- The noise in your ears: Facts about Tinnitus
- Usher Syndrome
- Vestibular Schwannoma (Acoustic Neuroma) and Neurofibromatosis
- Waardenburg Syndrome
- Zellweger Syndrome