Prior to July 1, 2019, the Special Funds Division administered several state funds on behalf of the North Dakota Insurance Department. These Funds include:
- The Boiler Inspection Program provides mechanical inspection of boilers and pressure vessels and their components. Inspections are conducted on a recurring basis to safeguard the lives of those exposed to vessels under pressure; to protect persons and property generally; and to place, by reasonable regulation, responsibility for compliance with the owner and users. The Boiler Inspection Program is now administered by the North Dakota Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ).
- The Petroleum Tank Release Compensation Fund - the federal government requires all owners of underground petroleum tanks to prove their financial ability to clean up petroleum contamination resulting from a leak. This Fund was created to help pay for cleaning up spills. The Petroleum Tank Release Compensation Fund is now administered by (DEQ).
- The State Bonding Fund provides a blanket fidelity bond for state agencies and political subdivisions providing coverage in the event of employee theft of property or money. The State Bonding Fund is now administered by the North Dakota Insurance Reserve Fund (NDIRF).
- The State Fire and Tornado Fund insures buildings and contents belonging to state agencies and political subdivisions. The Fund provides low-cost insurance on more than 9,959 public buildings throughout the state. The largest are state universities and the smallest are townships. The State Fire and Tornado Fund is now administered by (NDIRF)
With questions or for more information please contact us at:
North Dakota Insurance Department
600 E Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, ND 58505-0320
(701) 328-9610 Fax
(800) 247-0560 Consumer Hotline
(800) 366-6888 TTY Line