The State Health Insurance Counseling (SHIC) program offers free help with Medicare and other health insurance. Trained counselors who work through local sponsoring organizations can help answer your questions. SHIC counselors are trained in all aspects of senior insurance issues, such as Medicare, Medicare Part D and Medicare Advantage plans, and have no connection with any insurance company or product.
If you receive Medicare, counselors can help you with:
- Better understanding paperwork and statements that you receive after a doctor visit, hospital stay or other experience.
- Sorting out and reconciling statements, hospital or clinic bills and help you figure out what has been paid and what you need to pay.
- Claims filing and appeals if payment has been denied.
- Options for private insurance or to supplement your Medicare, such as Part D plans, Medicare Supplement plans or Medicare Advantage plans.
- Reviewing and understanding long-term care insurance options for the future.
SHIC receives funding from the Administration for Community Living (ASL). The program helps Medicare beneficiaries navigate through the processes and products of Medicare by providing information in an understandable format so they can make informed decisions regarding their health care coverage.
With questions, for more information or to locate the SHIC program sponsor nearest you, please contact us at:
North Dakota Insurance Department
State Health Insurance Counseling Program
600 E Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, ND 58505-0320
(701) 328-4880 Fax
(888) 575-6611 SHIC Hotline
(800) 366-6888 TTY Line