nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends

Top Navigation - Left

Frequently Asked Questions - Crashes / Emergencies

If an authorized emergency vehicle is parked or stopped on the interstate system or on a multilane highway outside the limits of a city, and the authorized emergency vehicle is displaying a flashing, revolving, or rotating amber, blue, white, or red light, the driver of an approaching vehicle shall proceed with caution and yield the right of way by moving to a lane that is not adjacent to the authorized emergency vehicle if the move may be made with due regard to safety and traffic conditions or if not, the driver shall proceed with due caution, reduce the speed of the vehicle, and maintain a safe speed for the road conditions.

This law also applies to DOT maintenance vehicles.

Motorists who strike a deer or other undomesticated animal do not need to report the crash to law enforcement if the crash results in property damage only, regardless of the amount of damage to the vehicle. The driver may proceed to their destination if the vehicle is able to be driven. Law enforcement will respond to the crash scene to provide assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled.

If someone is injured as a result of the crash, law enforcement must be contacted.

If in a municipality, contact the local police department. If outside a municipality, then notify the sheriff's office or the nearest Highway Patrol Office.

For an official copy of a crash report, fill out a Request for Crash Report Information (PDF) form and mail it to the ND Department of Transportation's Drivers License Division. The mailing address is included on the form. There is a $2 fee for the officer's report, a $5 fee for the officer's opinion, and a $7 fee for both. For more information, please call 701-328-2600.


For more information:
North Dakota Department of Transportation
Drivers License Division

Dialing 911 will place you in contact with emergency officials who will be able to summon assistance for you.

Upon the immediate approach of an emergency vehicle displaying emergency lights, the driver of every other vehicle shall yield the right of way by moving to the right-hand edge or curb clear of any intersection and stop and remain stopped until the emergency vehicle passes. If an emergency vehicle is parked or stopped at the scene of an emergency and is displaying emergency red, white, or blue lights, traffic shall move to the right and stop. Once stopped, traffic may proceed with caution unless otherwise directed.

Yes. The driver of any vehicle involved in a crash resulting only in damage to highway fixtures or other property shall take reasonable steps to locate and notify the owner or person in charge of such property. You must provide your name and address and the registration number of the vehicle involved.  NDCC 39-08-08 (51kb PDF)

The governing police agency shall immediately be given notice of a crash where the apparent extent of property damage is $1000 (combined or otherwise). NDCC 39-08-09 (51kb PDF)

Any person who is an unpaid volunteer, who in good faith, renders emergency care or services at or near the scene of a crash, disaster, or other emergency, or en route to a treatment facility, is not liable to the recipient of the emergency care or services for any damages resulting from the rendering of that care or service. This does not apply to willful misconduct or gross negligence on the part of any intoxicated person or other person rendering aid. NDCC 39-08-04.1 (51kb PDF)

You must immediately stop and notify the owner of your name, address, and your insurance policy carrier. If you cannot locate the owner, then you must leave in a conspicuous place on the vehicle the above information and the circumstances of the collision.  NDCC 39-08-07 (51kb PDF)

There are many factors to consider before deciding what to do but generally speaking there are only a few critical responses. First, make sure you protect yourself from other traffic or traffic hazards in the area that may have led to the crash. Do not obstruct traffic more than necessary. Next, if the scene is safe, obtain all the information you can and call 911. Be sure to provide the location of the crash and the number of vehicles and occupants involved. Then, if it is safe to do so, render any kind of aid that you can to the injured.

Finally, remain on the scene until help arrives. Remember that you can be a great asset to the investigating officers if you inform them of what you know about the crash.

Alhough there is no law specifically prohibiting road rage, this type of behavior exhibited by such drivers could fall under a number of categories ranging from simple traffic violations to criminal offenses. The charges that may apply depend upon the circumstances.

By driving defensively and in a non-aggressive, courteous fashion one can avoid most conflicts associated with road rage. If you become the victim of road rage, call 911 immediately to report the incident.