The North Dakota Department of Agriculture will be helping to educate and provide technical assistance to fruit and vegetable growers in our state about the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) Produce Safety rule.
FSMA Grower Training Courses
The courses are for fruit and vegetable growers and others interested in learning about produce safety, the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) Produce Safety Rule, Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs), and co-management of natural resources and food safety. The Produce Safety Alliance (PSA) Grower Training Course is one way to satisfy the FSMA Produce Safety Rule requirement outlined in § 112.22(c) that requires ‘At least one supervisor or responsible party for your farm must have successfully completed food safety training at least equivalent to that received under standardized curriculum recognized as adequate by the Food and Drug Administration.’
What to Expect at the PSA Grower Training Course
The trainers will spend approximately seven hours of instruction time covering content contained in these seven modules:
1. Introduction to Produce Safety
2. Worker Health, Hygiene, and Training
3. Soil Amendments
4. Wildlife, Domesticated Animals, and Land Use
5. Agricultural Water (Part I: Production Water; Part II: Postharvest Water)
6. Postharvest Handling and Sanitation
7. How to Develop a Farm Food Safety Plan
In addition to learning about produce safety best practices, key parts of the FSMA Produce Safety Rule requirements are outlined within each module. There will be time for questions and discussion, so participants should come prepared to share their experiences and produce safety questions.
Courses will be offered at these locations. The sessions are a full day from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with registration starting at 8:30 a.m. There will be a one-hour break for attendees to leave for lunch.
- Saturday, Sept. 28, 2019 at Dakota College at Bottineau, Thatcher building - McMaster conference room, 105 Simrall Blvd., Bottineau, ND
- Saturday, Dec. 7, 2019 at the Jon L. Wanzek Center for Scouting, 4200 19th Ave. S., Fargo, ND
- Monday, January 13, 2020 at the NDSU Carrington Research Extension Center, 663 US-281, Carrington, ND 58421
- Thursday, Feb. 27, 2020 at the Baymont Inn & Suites, 2611 Old Red Trail, Mandan, ND (one day prior to state local foods conference)
- Saturday, May 16, 2020 at the Bowman Lodge and Convention Center,207 US-12, Bowman, ND