2021 Emergency Feed Transportation Assistance Program

$2.5 Million Available


WHO is eligible for this program?

  • Livestock owners who have feed losses from drought and must purchase feed

    • Must own breeding livestock;

      • For the purposes of this program, breeding livestock is defined as; beef and dairy cows, bison, sheep, and goats

  • Must have a minimum of 25 animal unit equivalents. The Animal Unit Equivalents Guide is adopted from the NRCS National Rangeland and Pasture Handbook

  • The following will be considered “feed”

    • Hay or any other forage

      • Silage purchased outside of normal operation will be eligible

    • Grain including distillers and other co-products

      • Wheat midds

      • Beet pulp

      • Canola meal

      • Sunflower meal

      • Soybean hulls

    • Straw will be eligible

    • Other feeds and supplements are on case by case basis


WHAT is eligible for assistance?

  • Transportation costs for purchased feed or feed put up outside of normal operation due to loss of feed incurred between April 8, 2021 and November 30, 2021.

    • Transportation cost of hauling breeding livestock to feed source

    • Feed must be used for the purposes of your own livestock operation

  • Eligibility details

    • Eligible for reimbursement of a portion of expenses based on loaded mile of purchased feed delivered or feed put up outside normal operations.

    • Eligible mileage expenses include the following:

      • Personal mileage – rate will be set at $2.50 per loaded mile

      • Commercial mileage – rate will be based on total amount charged

        • Expense must be per loaded mile basis

    • Receipts received for pick-up and trailer transportation will be prorated accordingly

      • Commercial rates higher than program average will be reduced to average or rejected

    • Receipts received at other than per mile will be calculated will be based on program average or rejected.

  • Must have receipts for purchased feed and have transportation costs associated due to the loss of feed supply


Applications will open in mid-September and must be submitted by December 15, 2021.


Completed application must include:

  • A signed IRS W-9 form
  • Third party verification of feed loss form completed by bank, county extension agent, or veterinarian
  • All receipts must be included
  • Producer must agree to terms on the application form


For questions email haytransport@nd.gov.