The North Dakota Department of Agriculture regulates the distribution and sale of fertilizers to protect consumers and ensure access to high quality fertilizer products.  This page provides information on how to obtain a fertilizer distributor’s license and how to register fertilizer products in North Dakota.

All fertilizer materials, foliar fertilizers, micronutrients, specialty fertilizers, soil amendments and plant amendments must be registered with the North Dakota Department of Agriculture prior to being distributed or offered for sale.   Information on how to obtain a fertilizer registration can be found in the NDDA Fertilizer Registration and Licensing Guidelines document to the left.

Any person who distributes, sells, or imports any of the above listed fertilizer products must first obtain a fertilizer distributor’s license.  People who sell only specialty fertilizers or only seed inoculants are exempt from the licensing requirements.  An inspection fee otherwise known as a tonnage fee must be paid on all fertilizer products sold in packages of over 25 pounds.

The North Dakota Department of Agriculture has contracted with Kelly Registration Systems (KRS) to streamline our registration and licensing processes and to provide a more efficient electronic document management platform. Companies or individuals can submit applications and supporting documents online through a platform called KSAMS at This includes renewals, initial applications and tonnage reports for all fertilizers. Registrants and licensees can also use KSAMS to submit revised supporting documents and labels. Persons are strongly encouraged to use the KSAMS registration option. You may request a username and password by contacting KRS at 1-800-803-5777 or via email at

Click here to view the 2019 Tonnage Report.

Fertilizer Program Contacts

Eric Delzer

Pesticide and Fertilizer Program Manager

Brandy Kiefel

Fertilizer Program Specialist/Tonnage

Faye Wangen

Licensing/Registration Admin Assistant