Anhydrous ammonia is an important fertilizer in North Dakota and is a key factor in the productivity of our state’s agriculture. However, anhydrous ammonia can pose a risk to human health due to its chemical properties. The North Dakota Department of Agriculture regulates the storage, distribution, and sale of anhydrous ammonia. The NDDA also uses outreach and education to the public and industry to promote the safe use of this vital fertilizer.

This page provides general information on the laws and administrative rules that North Dakota has implemented for the sale and use of anhydrous ammonia.  It also provides information on how to obtain an anhydrous ammonia facility license.  It is advised that persons also check with local officials to determine whether county or city ordinances exist relating to anhydrous ammonia.

Any bulk anhydrous facility with a capacity of at least 6,000 gallons which is owned or operated by a user or vendor must hold an anhydrous ammonia license.  The license is valid indefinitely, but may not be transferred.  A checklist for obtaining an anhydrous ammonia license can be found below.  Persons selling anhydrous ammonia must also obtain a fertilizer distributor’s license.

The North Dakota Department of Agriculture has contracted with Kelly Registration Systems (KRS) to streamline our registration and licensing processes and to provide a more efficient electronic document management platform. Companies or individuals can submit applications and supporting documents online through a platform called KSAMS at This includes renewals and initial applications and tonnage reports for anhydrous ammonia. Registrants and licensees can also use KSAMS to submit revised supporting documents and labels. Persons are strongly encouraged to use the KSAMS registration option. You may request a username and password by contacting KRS at 1-800-803-5777 or via email at

Anhydrous Ammonia Contacts

Brandy Kiefel

Fertilizer Program Specialist/Tonnage

Eric Delzer

Pesticide and Fertilizer Division Director