June is Dairy Month! We're celebrating our dairy farm families that provide safe, wholesome dairy foods for you to enjoy.
Fresh, nutritious dairy foods like milk, cheese and yogurt don't just taste delicious, they're good for your body.
- Dairy foods are full of calcium, protein, potassium, vitamin D and five other nutrients. Milk is the #1 source of calcium, potassium and vitamin D in the American diet.
- Dairy is one of the most economical sources of nutrition – an 8 ounce glass of milk is just 25 cents.
- Milk, cheese and yogurt can help your family maintain a healthy diet while also delivering on convenience, value and taste.
- Milk is a food that goes from farm to store within 48 hours!
- North Dakota has 75 dairies and 15,500 dairy cows.
- North Dakota dairy production is at 345 million lbs. per year – that is about 40 million gallons of milk (each gallon weighs about 8.6 lbs.)
- One cow makes about 6.5 gallons of milk every day
- Average weight of a mature dairy cow – 1,400 lbs.
- Cows drink 30-50 gallons of water each day (a bathtub full)
- Cows eat more than 100 lbs. of feed each day
A Holstein and a Jersey are standing next to each other in the milking parlor. The Holstein says, "I have more milk than you." The Jersey replies, "True, but my milk is BUTTER than yours."
Fact: Jersey cows produce less milk with higher components compared to Holstein cows
The barn doors are open! 2018 dairy tours in ND:
- June 14 - Dairy Day at Dr. Dawn's Pet Stop in Jamestown, ND from 1 pm - 5 pm. Pet baby calves, eat dairy treats, milk a cow, play dairy games and more! View flyer.
- June 16 - Northern Lights Dairy is having Breakfast on the Farm on June 16 from 7-11 am. Come enjoy a FREE Breakfast on the Farm complete with Land O'Lakes Ice Cream, Cheese, Milk, Domino's Pizza, Bearscat Donuts, and more! There will also be guided tours of the farm, petting zoo, face-painting, kids activities, the ND Dairy Princess, Pride of Dakota, local businesses, and equipment displays! Think of it as a 'mini fair on the farm' so lots of fun for all ages, see you all there! Northern Lights Dairy is located at 2165 54th St., Mandan, ND. View flyer.