June is Dairy Month! We're celebrating our dairy farm families that provide safe, wholesome dairy foods for you to enjoy.
Fresh, nutritious dairy foods like milk, cheese and yogurt don't just taste delicious, they're good for your body.
- Dairy foods are full of calcium, protein, potassium, vitamin D and five other nutrients. Milk is the #1 source of calcium, potassium and vitamin D in the American diet.
- Dairy is one of the most economical sources of nutrition – an 8 ounce glass of milk is just 25 cents.
- Milk, cheese and yogurt can help your family maintain a healthy diet while also delivering on convenience, value and taste.
- Milk is a food that goes from farm to store within 48 hours!
- North Dakota has 86 dairies and 16,000 dairy cows.
- North Dakota dairy production is at 332 million lbs. per year – that is about 38 million gallons of milk (each gallon weighs about 8.6 lbs.)
- One cow makes about 6.5 gallons of milk every day
- Average weight of a mature dairy cow – 1,400 lbs.
- Cows drink 30-50 gallons of water each day (a bathtub full)
- Cows eat more than 100 lbs. of feed each day
A Holstein and a Jersey are standing next to each other in the milking parlor. The Holstein says, "I have more milk than you." The Jersey replies, "True, but my milk is BUTTER than yours."
Fact: Jersey cows produce less milk with higher components compared to Holstein cows
The barn doors are open! Upcoming dairy tours in ND
- June 7 - Qual Dairy is having an open house to celebrate June Dairy Month from 5-8 pm. Ice cream treats will be provided. Directions: 13407 73rd Street SE, Lisbon (6 miles south of Lisbon on Hwy 32, then 2 miles east on 73rd Street)
- June 11 - Wanzek Dairy invites you to A Day At The Dairy from 11 am - 3 pm. Wanzek Dairy is a robotic 300-cow operation located southwest of Windsor, ND. Enjoy lunch (until gone), a guided tour, equipment displays, calf petting, giveaways and fun for the kids including face painting and a cow pie walk. Directions: 3774 67th Ave. SE, Cleveland (From I94, take exit 242 and follow the signs).
- June 16 – Dairy Day at Dr. Dawn's Pet Stop in Jamestown, ND from 1 pm - 5 pm. They will have baby calves to pet and play with, dairy-themed carnival games and prizes, dairy treats, a photo booth and more!