June is Dairy Month! We're celebrating our dairy farm families that provide safe, wholesome dairy foods for you to enjoy.
Fresh, nutritious dairy foods like milk, cheese and yogurt don't just taste delicious, they're good for your body.
- Dairy foods are full of calcium, protein, potassium, vitamin D and five other nutrients. Milk is the #1 source of calcium, potassium and vitamin D in the American diet.
- Dairy is one of the most economical sources of nutrition – an 8 ounce glass of milk is just 25 cents.
- Milk, cheese and yogurt can help your family maintain a healthy diet while also delivering on convenience, value and taste.
- Milk is a food that goes from farm to store within 48 hours!
- North Dakota has 65 dairies and 15,000 dairy cows.
- North Dakota dairy production is at 334 million lbs. per year – that is about 39 million gallons of milk (each gallon weighs about 8.6 lbs.)
- One cow makes about 6.5 gallons of milk every day
- Average weight of a mature dairy cow – 1,400 lbs.
- Cows drink 30-50 gallons of water each day (a bathtub full)
- Cows eat more than 100 lbs. of feed each day
A Holstein and a Jersey are standing next to each other in the milking parlor. The Holstein says, "I have more milk than you." The Jersey replies, "True, but my milk is BUTTER than yours."
Fact: Jersey cows produce less milk with higher components compared to Holstein cows
The barn doors are open! 2019 dairy tours in ND:
- June 20 - Dairy Day at Dr. Dawn's Pet Stop in Jamestown, ND from 1 pm - 5 pm. Pet baby calves, eat dairy treats, milk a cow, play dairy games and more! View press release.