Recommendations for People Who Raise Pigs
- Watch pigs for signs of illness. Call a veterinarian if you suspect illness.
- Take protective measures if you must come in contact with pigs that are known or suspected to be sick such as minimizing contact with pigs and wearing personal protective equipment. Protective clothing, gloves and masks that cover your mouth and nose should be worn when contact is required.
- Wash hands often.
- Avoid contact with pigs if you have flu-like symptoms. Wait 7 days after your illness started or until you have been without fever for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medications, whichever is longer. If you must have contact with pigs while you are sick, take the protective actions listed above.
- Ensure that all people who have contact with your pigs, are vaccinated every season against influenza.
- Call your veterinarian to discuss a vaccination protocol for your pigs.
H3N2 Influenza Contacts
North Dakota State Board of Animal Health
600 East Boulevard Ave. Dept. 602 Bismarck, ND 58505-0020701-328-2655 1-800-242-7535