Instant Messaging (IM)
Instant Messaging (IM) allows real-time communication with contacts. People can instantly tell if a colleague is online and chat with them using text, audio, and/or video. For a fee, collaboration may be enhanced with white-boarding, file transfer, application sharing, and remote desktop control.
Features within the Standard Features list are capabilities included within the FTE fee rate structure:
- Allow immediate, text-based conversations between colleagues.
- Presence Detection
- To enable one computer user to see whether another user is currently logged on. People have control over how their online status appears to others.
- Desktop Audio/Video Conferencing
- To allow PC to PC dynamic, on-demand sharing of information through a virtual "face-to-face" meeting.
The users that initiate the following features will require additional software licensing (Microsoft Enterprise CAL). As such, additional fees apply for these features. To request the enterprise features, please submit a WMS request.
- To allow multiple users to initiate a white board session and write or draw on a shared virtual tablet.
- Application Sharing
- To enable the user the ability to initiate an application or desktop sharing event.
- Remote Desktop Control
- To enable a support professional to initiate an event to take control of all functionality on another user's computer.
Within the Lync client a user may initiate a voice call. A plug-in from Avaya can be installed that can function similar to Microsoft Remote Call Control (RCC) and would allow the capability to initiate a call through a user's desk phone.
- Avaya Plug-in
- Allows users the ability to initiate a phone call from their desk phone using the Lync client.
- Note: The plug-in is available in two components and provides some additional functionality. One component enables the capability within Lync to dial the desk phone and a second component enables capabilities for Outlook and internet browser dialing.
ITD’s online Work Management System (WMS) may be used to submit a Service Request for “Email/IM/Rightfax/Quota.” On the form, click the drop-down box by Instant Messaging and select “Add Instant Messaging to this Email Account.”
When requesting a large number of IM accounts at one time, simply fill out one Service Request and attach a spreadsheet with all the User Names.
Requests are typically completed within one business day.