Instant Messaging (IM)
Instant Messaging (IM) allows real-time communication with contacts. People can instantly tell if a colleague is online and chat with them using text, audio, and/or video. For a fee, collaboration may be enhanced with white-boarding, file transfer, application sharing, and remote desktop control.
Features within the Standard Features list are capabilities included within the FTE fee rate structure:
- allow immediate, text-based conversations between colleagues.
- Presence Detection
- to enable one computer user to see whether another user is currently logged on. People have control over how their online status appears to others.
- Desktop Audio/Video Conferencing
- to allow PC to PC dynamic, on-demand sharing of information through a virtual "face-to-face" meeting.
The users that initiate the following features will require additional software licensing (Microsoft Enterprise CAL). As such, additional fees apply for these features. To request the enterprise features, please submit a WMS request.
- to allow multiple users to initiate a white board session and write or draw on a shared virtual tablet.
- Application Sharing
- to enable the user the ability to initiate an application or desktop sharing event.
- Remote Desktop Control
- to enable a support professional to initiate an event to take control of all functionality on another user's computer.
Within the Lync client a user may initiate a voice call. This can be accomplished through the native capabilities of Microsoft Remote Call Control (RCC) whereby the Lync client initiates a call through a user's desk phone. Alternatively, a plug-in from Avaya can be installed that can function similar to Microsoft RCC and would allow capability to initiate a call through a user's desk phone.
- Avaya Plug-in
- Allows users the ability to initiate a phone call from their desk phone using the Lync client.
- Note: The plug-in is available in two components and provides some additional functionality. One component enables the capability within Lync to dial the desk phone and a second component enables capabilities for Outlook and internet browser dialing.
- Recommendation: ITD is recommending the plug-in for users that chooe to deploy the Lync 2010 client. At this time ITD is not recommending the plug-in for users thatchoose to deploy the Lync 2013 client. Once the Lync 2013 client becomes for stable, ITD will notify the community.
ITD’s online Work Management System (WMS) may be used to submit a Service Request for “Email/IM/Rightfax/Quota.” On the form, click the drop-down box by Instant Messaging and select “Add Instant Messaging to this Email Account.”
When requesting a large number of IM accounts at one time, simply fill out one Service Request and attach a spreadsheet with all the User Names.
Requests are typically completed within one business day.