Live eFacilitated workshop
Start Date: September 16, 2019
Webinar 1: October 24, 2019
Webinar 2: December 10, 2019
1.0 credit available through the University of Mary
In partnership with the International Consortium for Multilingual Excellence in Education (ICMEE) at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL).
The purpose of this eWorkshop is to create an online Professional Learning Community that supports participants’ collaboration and fosters ownership of their learning. Over the course of 12 weeks, participants engage in 6 units that each consist of 3 sections: Explore, Make it Work, and Share. They select ideas to try out in their classrooms and share their experiences with colleagues in online discussion boards and 3 online meetings. The estimated time needed to complete the eWorkshop is 25 hours.
The essential question for this eWorkshop is: How can I support bilingual students who are struggling with reading in English? Units 1-5 contain the following guiding questions that support participants in responding to the essential question during Unit 6.
1. What is different about teaching reading to multilingual students?
2. How can I use co-constructed texts to help my multilingual learners read texts with confidence?
3. How can shared reading help multilingual learners read and comprehend texts in English?
4. How do patterned texts help multilingual learners read and produce sophisticated, fluent text?
5. How can I help my multilingual learners develop a deep curiosity for the way language works?
By the end of the eWorkshop, participants will be able to:
• Articulate best practices for teaching multilingual learners related to reading supports for those struggling with reading in English.
• Implement reading supports that help multilingual students to comprehend and produce texts in their own classrooms.
• Carry out language play activities that help multilingual learners develop a deep curiosity for the way language works.
Format: All materials and online meeting platform will be housed in the WIDA eLearning Center, which can be accessed by participants with a WIDA Secure Portal login.
For a full schedule and TO REGISTER, click here.