The NDDPI has created Office 365 SharePoint sites and Teams for each of the individual teams below to provide a secure space to share and collaborate. The NDDPI posts updates, guidance, professional development opportunities, and other information regularly.
District EL Coordinators are district personnel responsible for the management and documentation of the EL program. The NDDPI provides the following resources specific to district EL Coordinators:
- EL Coordinator Team - The NDDPI has created a Microsoft Team to provide a secure space to share and collaborate. The NDDPI posts updates, guidance, professional development opportunities, and other information regularly.
- The NDDPI offers EL Coordinator Collaboration Time on the 2nd Thursday of each month at 9:00am and 3:45pm through the Teams platform.
If you are an EL Coordinator and would like to be a member of the SharePoint/Team, please contact the EL Programs Office.
EL Educators are educational personnel involved in the instruction of English Learners. The NDDPI has created a Microsoft Team to provide a secure space to share and collaborate. The NDDPI posts updates, guidance, professional development opportunities, and other information regularly.
If you are an EL Educator and would like to be a member of the SharePoint/Team, please contact the EL Programs Office.
The North Dakota English Learner Program Advisory Committee (ND ELPAC) was created in North Dakota Century Code to be appointed by the State Superintendent of Public Instruction. The purpose of the committee is to advise the superintendent and program personnel on matters related to English learner programs and the North Dakota English language proficiency assessment. The committee is charged with making recommendations on the development of rules and guidance documents, program standards, student instruction, and the English language proficiency assessment program.
ND ELPAC Membership and Term Guidelines
The North Dakota Century Code authorizes the Superintendent of Public Instruction to establish and appoint members to the English Learner Program Advisory Committee (ELPAC). The goals of the ELPAC are to: 1) advise the North Dakota Department of Public Instruction (NDDPI) in matters affecting the education of English learners, and 2) promote educational opportunity and improve the quality of education provided to English learners in North Dakota.
- The committee will be comprised of up to 15 participants who represent at least one of the designated stakeholder groups below.
- Each member will serve a one-year term and, if in good standing, will be invited to continue the following year. Members of ND ELPAC may receive a professional fee and reimbursement for necessary mileage, meals, and lodging as per state guidelines. Members will not be paid or reimbursed if being paid or reimbursed by their employer.
- New members will be invited upon a current member resignation and selected primarily based on the alignment of their current role and the unfilled representation areas and secondarily based on previous experience.
- We anticipate the committee will meet face-to-face approximately twice throughout the year (if it is safe to do so) and may include virtual meetings at various time throughout the year.
The ELPAC will strive to include the following representation:
- Educators of English learners
- Elementary EL Teacher
- Secondary EL Teacher
- Early Childhood Teacher
- District EL Teacher/Coordinator
- Native American EL Teacher
- Adult EL Educator
- General Educators with EL Populations
- REA EL Specialist
- Elementary Teacher
- Secondary Teacher
- Early Childhood Teacher
- Special Education Teacher/Coordinator
- Higher Education (preference to EL teacher prep)
- Refugee Services
- EL Student (grade 6-12)
- Parent of an EL
- Social Services
- Civic Leader (holds an office)
- Law Enforcement or SRS
2020-2021 ND English Learner Program Advisory Committee Members
- Dakota Breen - Secondary EL Teacher, West Fargo Public Schools
- Krista Bussman - EL Teacher/Coordinator, Colony Schools, Milnor Public School District
- Jillian Dietchman - REA EL Specialist, Roughrider Education Services Program
- Renee Gerard - Adult EL Educator, Williston Adult Learning Center
- Lallaine Hauser - Adult EL Educator, Dickinson Public School District
- Arliss Koski - Special Education Teacher/Coordinator, Mandan Public School District
- Lucia Shelley-Maluy - Adult EL Educator, Mandan Public School District
- Karen Moore - Data & Assessment Manager, Data & Technology, Parent, Fargo Public School District
- Lori Nappe - EL Teacher, Refugee Services, Fargo Public School District
- Wendy Sanderson - District EL Coordinator, Post Secondary Education, Bismarck Public School District
- Travis Thorvilson - Principal/EL Coordinator, Administrator, Grand Forks Public Schools
- LeAnne Tracey - Adult EL Educator, EL Teacher/Coordinator, Spanish Teacher, Williston Public School District
- Kerri Whipple - REA EL Specialist, Parent, Civic Leader, South East Education Cooperative
- Assistant Director, Office of Indian/Multicultural Education, NDDPI
- Assistant Director, Office of Assessment, NDDPI
- Administrative Staff Officer, Office of Indian/Multicultural Education, NDDPI