The NDDPI has created Office 365 SharePoint sites and Teams for each of the individual teams below to provide a secure space to share and collaborate. The NDDPI posts updates, guidance, professional development opportunities, and other information regularly.
District EL Coordinators are district personnel responsible for the management and documentation of the EL program.
If you are an EL Coordinator and would like to be a member of the SharePoint/Team, please contact the EL Programs Office.
EL Educators are educational personnel involved in the instruction of English Learners.
If you are an EL Educator and would like to be a member of the SharePoint/Team, please contact the EL Programs Office.
The North Dakota English Learner Program Advisory Committee (ND ELPAC) was created in North Dakota Century Code to be appointed by the State Superintendent of Public Instruction. The purpose of the committee is to advise the superintendent and program personnel on matters related to English learner programs and the North Dakota English language proficiency assessment. The committee is charged with making recommendations on the development of rules and guidance documents, program standards, student instruction, and the English language proficiency assessment program.
ND ELPAC Membership and Term Guidelines
The North Dakota Century Code authorizes the Superintendent of Public Instruction to establish and appoint members to the English Learner Program Advisory Committee (ELPAC). The goals of the ELPAC are to: 1) advise the North Dakota Department of Public Instruction (NDDPI) in matters affecting the education of English learners, and 2) promote educational opportunity and improve the quality of education provided to English learners in North Dakota.
- The committee will be made up of 10-12 participants representing one of the designated stakeholder groups below.
- Each member will serve a four-year term. New members will be invited upon the conclusion of the current member terms or a member resignation.
- Members of the ND ELPAC receive reimbursement from the NDDPI for necessary mileage, meals, and lodging as per state guidelines.
- We anticipate the committee will meet face-to-face approximately twice throughout the year and may include conference calls or webinars at various time throughout the year.
The following stakeholder groups may be included in ELPAC representation:
- Teachers of English learners
- Elementary Teacher
- Secondary Teacher
- Early Childhood Teacher
- District EL Teacher/Coordinator
- Native American EL Teacher
- Special Education Teacher/Coordinator
- Community Members
- EL Parent
- Social Services
- Civic Leader - holds an office
- Law Enforcement
- School/District Administrator
- Higher Education (preference to EL teacher prep)
- Refugee Services
- EL Student (grade 6-12)
- Adult Education Teacher (preference to EL teacher)
2018-2019 ND English Learner Program Advisory Committee Members
- Krista Bussman - EL Teacher/Coordinator, Colony Schools, Milnor Public School District
- Sonja Butenhoff - EL Coordinator, Coordinator Large District, West Fargo Public School District
- Jillian Dietchman - EL Specialist, REA, Roughrider Education Services Program
- Sunshine Froelich - EL Coordinator, Native American, Standing Rock Public School District
- Arliss Koski - Special Education, Mandan Public School District
- Shelley Maluy-Lucia - Adult EL Educator, Mandan Public School District
- Karen Moore - Data & Assessment Manager, Data & Technology, Parent, Fargo Public School District
- Lori Nappe - EL Teacher, Refugee, Fargo Public School District
- Wendy Sanderson - EL Coordinator, Post Secondary Education, Bismarck Public School District
- Travis Thorvilson - Principal/EL Coordinator, Administrator East, Grand Forks Public Schools
- Assistant Director, Office of Indian/Multicultural Education, NDDPI
- Administrative Staff Officer, Office of Indian/Multicultural Education, NDDPI