In order to initiate the pre-kindergarten approval process, the interested school district must submit the SFN 60869 School District Pre-kindergarten Program Approval form along with the following items:
- A copy of the school board minutes documenting school board approval of the program
- A copy of the most recent fire marshal’s safety report
Pre-kindergarten programs must be taught by a highly qualified teacher whom have one of the following:
- B3 License
- Elementary education major and an early childhood endorsement
- Elementary education major and a minor in early childhood education
- Elementary education major and a kindergarten endorsement. A plan of study may be granted for the kindergarten endorsement which will allow a teacher two years to complete the required coursework for the endorsement.
- K-8 license. The K-8 licenses are no longer issued by ESPB. However, those who already have a K- 8 license may teach pre-kindergarten.
- K-6 license. The K-6 licenses are no longer issued by ESPB. However, those who already have a K- 6 license may teach pre-kindergarten.
Once the approval form and documentation are reviewed, grade level organization will be updated, and the program will be approved by the NDDPI to operate as a pre-kindergarten program for the school year requested in the approval form. Annual approval is no longer needed as NDDPI will conduct yearly desk audits. School districts will be notified in the Annual Desk Monitoring letter if any changes are required. Be sure to keep your MIS03, STARS, and NDTEACH updated with your pre-kindergarten information. Please see the Pre-kindergarten Approval Guidance for information on how to complete the SFN 60869.
Contact the Office of Early Learning at (701) 328-4646 for additional information.
The North Dakota Department of Public Instruction (NDDPI) and the North Dakota Department of Human Services (NDDHS) realize there is some confusion in the field around three-year-olds attending prekindergarten in a public school Approved by NDDPI.
The North Dakota Century Code (NDCC) defines Early Childhood Education in two separate chapters: NDDPI follows Chapter 15.1-37 and NDDHS follows Chapter 50-11.1 therefore, causing confusion in the field.
Below are excerpts from the NDCC describing each chapter. In summary, NDDPI cannot Approve a school district that is enrolling three-year-olds not on an Individualized Learning Plan, the child must be age four before August 4 of the school year; therefore, the school district must seek licensing approval through NDDHS. In contradiction, the NDCC, under NDDHS allows the Superintendent of Public Instruction to Approve early childhood programs for children under the age of six without obtaining child care licensing.
NDDPI: 15.1-37-01. Early childhood education program – Approval.
1. Any person or school district operating an early childhood education program may request approval of the program from the superintendent of public instruction. The superintendent shall approve an early childhood education program if the program:
- Is taught by individuals who are licensed to teach in early childhood education by the education standards and practices board or approved to teach in early childhood education by the education standards and practices board;
- Follows educational standards approved by the superintendent of public instruction;
- Is in compliance with all municipal and state health, fire, and safety requirements; and
- Limits its enrollment to children who have reached the age of four before August first in the year of enrollment
2. In determining the state aid payments to which a school district is entitled, the superintendent of public instruction may not count any student enrolled in a regular early childhood education program.
NDDHS: 50-11.1-02. Definitions.
7. “Early childhood services” means the care, supervision, education, or guidance of a child or children, which is provided in exchange for money, goods, or other services.
Early childhood services does not include: d. child care, preschool, and prekindergarten services provided to children under six years of age in any educational facility through a program approved by the superintendent of public instruction.
The NDDPI tried to have this issue resolved during the 65th Legislative Assembly. The amendment to help clarify these laws failed. Senate Bill 2250 was divided into two sections with Division A containing the language to allow NDDPI to Approve prekindergarten classrooms with three-year-olds. This amendment* failed to pass 44 YEAS, 47 NAYS, 0 EXCUSED, 3 ABSENT AND NOT VOTING.
Due to the failing amendment, NDDPI and NDDHS are required to follow the same law. We encourage you to contact your local Senator and Representatives and encourage them to submit a bill in the 2019 session to correct this language requiring duplication.
In the meantime, NDDPI and NDDHS are working to help programs serve children and families in the programs that exist. Contact the Office of Early Learning at (701) 328-4646 for additional information.
|Approved Pre-kindergarten Programs A-M||Approved Pre-kindergarten Programs M-Z|
|Academy for Children (Fargo)||Medina Public School|
|Alexander Public School||Midway Public School|
|Ashley Public School||Minnewaukan Public School|
|Barnes County North (Wimbledon)||Minto Public School|
|Beach Public School||Missouri Valley Montessori (Bismarck)|
|Belfield Public School||Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood Public School (Mohall)|
|Bismarck Early Childhood Education Program||Montpelier Public School|
|Bob Callies Preschool (Garrison)||Mt. Pleasant Public School (Rolla)|
|Bowman County Preschool||Munich Public School|
|Caring-TON Preschool||Nativity Elementary School (Fargo)|
|Cathedral of the Holy Spirit Elementary (Bismarck)||Naughton School (Bismarck)|
|Cavalier Public School||Nedrose Public School (Minot)|
|Center-Stanton Public School (Center)||New England Public School|
|Central Cass Public School (Casselton)||New Rockford-Sheyenne Public School (New Rockford)|
|Christ the King Catholic Montessori (Mandan)||North Border-Pembina Public School|
|Dakota Prairie Public School (Petersburg)||North Border-Walhalla Public School|
|Drayton Public School||North Star (Cando)|
|Dunseith Public School||Northern Cass Public School (Hunter)|
|Early Explorers Head Start (Devils Lake)||Park River Area Public School|
|Edgeley Public School||Pingree-Buchanan Public School (Pingree)|
|Edmore Public School||Richardton-Taylor Public School (Richardton)|
|Emerado Public School||Richland School District (Colfax)|
|Fessenden-Bowdon Public School (Fessenden)||Rugby Early Learning Center|
|Fordville-Lankin Public School (Fordville)||Sargent Central Public School (Forman)|
|Gackle-Streeter Public School (Gackle)||Sawyer Public School|
|Gingerbread House (West Fargo)||Scranton Public School|
|Glen Ullin Public School||Solen Public School District (Cannon Ball Preschool)|
|Glenburn Public School||South Heart Public School|
|Goodrich Public School||South Prairie School District (Minot)|
|Grafton Public School-Century Elementary||St. Alphonsus Catholic School (Langdon)|
|Hazelton-Moffitt-Braddock Public School (Hazelton)||St. Anne Elementary (Bismarck)|
|Hebron Public School||St. John’s Academy (Jamestown)|
|Hettinger Public School||St. Mary’s Elementary (Bismarck)|
|Holy Spirit Elementary School (Fargo)||St. Michael’s Elementary School (Grand Forks)|
|Kensal Public School||St. Thomas Public School|
|Kidder County (Steele Public School)||Starkweather Public School|
|Killdeer Public School||Sterling Public School|
|Kulm Public School||Strasburg Public School|
|Larimore Public School||Surrey Public School|
|Leeds Public School||Tiny Turtles Preschool (Belcourt)|
|Lewis & Clark (Berthold)||Trinity Elementary School (West Fargo)|
|Lewis & Clark (Plaza)||Turtle Lake-Mercer Public School (Turtle Lake)|
|Linton Public School||Underwood Public School|
|Litchville-Marion (Marion)||United Public School (Burlington)|
|Little Flower Elementary School (Rugby)||University Children’s Learning Center (Grand Forks)|
|Little Lions Preschool (Bishop Ryan Minot)||Valley-Edinburg Elementary School (Hoople)|
|Little Scholars Preschool (Williston)||Victory Christian (Jamestown)|
|Lone Tree Public School (Golva)||Warwick Public School|
|Maddock Public School||Washburn Public School|
|Manvel Public School||Westhope Public School|
|Mapleton Public School||Wilton Public School|
|Marmarth Public School||Wing Public School|
|Martin Luther School (Bismarck)||Wishek Public School|
|Max Public School||YMCA Childcare Development Center (West Fargo)|
|McClusky Public School||Zeeland Public School|