The North Dakota Department of Public Instruction (NDDPI) is seeking parents, guardians, caretakers, and other family members of children grades K-12 from all regions of North Dakota to apply to become a member of the State Superintendent’s Family Engagement Cabinet.
Selected members of this cabinet will have the opportunity to share their ideas about how North Dakota families and schools can better work together to support the education of all children.
Cabinet Purpose: The Family Engagement Cabinet will allow you to share your experience as a parent, guardian, caretaker or other family members in North Dakota. Your involvement will assist NDDPI in facilitating partnerships and collaboration with families and schools. In this first year, you will also be a part of developing a new Family Engagement Framework as guidance for North Dakota’s schools.
Who will be on the Cabinet: This group of approximately 20-25 Cabinet members will be made up of a diverse group of parents, guardians, caretakers, and other family members. The Cabinet will meet with Kirsten Baesler, the State Superintendent of Public Instruction.
Expectations of Cabinet Members
- Attend quarterly meetings in Bismarck, ND. The first meeting will be held in spring/summer 2019. A tentative plan is to have meetings in August, November, and February;
- Cabinet term is 18 months; members may sit for 2 terms;
- Be willing to and able to travel to Bismarck for in-person meetings;
- Come prepared for each meeting as needed, work in a collaborative manner with each other and with DPI staff, and express views and opinions openly, constructively and respectfully regarding the purpose of the family engagement cabinet.
Participants must provide:
- A cover letter introducing yourself and your goal in participating in this Cabinet.
- Completed Application Form with signature
The Applications will be scored according to the submission requirements and evaluation criteria in this Application for Selection. Consideration will also be given to attempt a broad representation of participants from across North Dakota. All applicants will be notified in writing whether they are selected to be a member of the Family Engagement Cabinet. Approximate notification date: May 1, 2019.
- Application Posted: March 25, 2019
- Applications Due: April 25, 2019 by 8:00 PM CDT
- Notice of Selection Issued approximately: May 8, 2019
- First Cabinet Meeting: Selected applications will receive notification of meeting date, time, and location
Assistance to Applicants with a Disability
Applicants with a disability that need an accommodation should contact 701-328-2720 prior to the deadline for applications so that reasonable accommodations can be made.
NDDPI will reimburse cabinet members for mileage round trip from home to meeting location and reimbursement for lodging (if appropriate) at North Dakota state rates.
To apply, fill out the application packet and email your cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line "Application for Family Engagement Cabinet" by 8 pm CST on April 25, 2019.