2018 North Dakota Teacher of the Year Nomination and Selection Process
General Guidelines and Instructions
The classroom teacher is the backbone of the American educational system. No one person has a greater impact on the education of a child than does the teacher who creates the primary learning and instructional environment. It is the mission of the State and National Teacher of the Year Programs to recognize and honor the contributions of the American classroom teacher. The Program is the oldest and most prestigious honors program to focus public attention on excellence in teaching. The North Dakota Teacher of the Year Program is sponsored by the North Dakota Department of Public Instruction and, now celebrating its 66th year, the National Teacher of the Year Program is a project of the Council of Chief State School Officers, in partnership with the Voya Foundation. A teacher may be initially recommended for nomination by any person within the school or community including parents, students, business leaders, school administrators, or colleagues.
The NDTOY candidate demonstrates leadership and innovation in and outside of the classroom walls that embodies lifelong learning, and should:
You are invited to nominate a teacher by submitting their name, home address, the school name and address where they teach, phone number(s), email address, and a brief paragraph or two about this teacher. Also, include name, phone number(s) and email address of the person nominating the teacher. Please email your nomination letter to Patricia A. Laubach or mail to Patricia A. Laubach, State Coordinator, North Dakota Teacher of the Year Program, 600 East Boulevard Avenue, Dept. 201, Bismarck, ND 58505-0440.
- be an exceptionally dedicated, knowledgeable, and skilled teacher in any state-approved or accredited school, pre-kindergarten through grade twelve, who is planning to continue in an active teaching status; (Supervisory and administrative responsibilities should be of secondary consideration.)
- inspire students of all backgrounds and abilities to learn;
- have the respect and admiration of students, parents, and colleagues;
- play an active and useful role in the community as well as in the school;
- be poised, articulate, and possess the energy to withstand a taxing schedule; and
- have a background of self-advancement through advanced degree work, and participation in seminars, workshops, etc.
On approximately Friday, May 12, 2017, application packets will be sent to all nominees. The application of the school's candidate for 2018 North Dakota Teacher of the Year, completed on the official application form, must be submitted on or before
In August, a State Selection Committee will select four finalists from the nominations received. The finalists will be brought to Bismarck for individual interviews with the Committee. The State Selection Committee includes representatives from the following agencies/organizations:
If you have any questions, please contact Patricia A. Laubach at (701) 328-4525.
- North Dakota Council of Educational Leaders
- North Dakota United
- North Dakota School Board Association
- North Dakota Teacher of the Year
- North Dakota Nonpublic Schools
- North Dakota Department of Career and Technical Education
- North Dakota Department of Public Instruction