A: Principles of American Democracy
B: System of Government
- What is the supreme law of the land?
- What does the Constitution do?
- The idea of self-government is in the first three words of the Constitution. What are these words?
- What is an amendment?
- What do we call the first ten amendments to the Constitution?
- What is one right or freedom from the First Amendment?
- How many amendments does the Constitution have?
- What did the Declaration of Independence do?
- What are two rights in the Declaration of Independence?
- What is freedom of religion?
- What is the economic system in the United States?
- What is the “rule of law”?
C: Rights and Responsibilities
- Name one branch or part of the government.
- What stops one branch of government from becoming too powerful?
- Who is in charge of the executive branch?
- Who makes federal laws?
- What are the two parts of the U.S. Congress?
- How many U.S. Senators are there?
- We elect a U.S. Senator for how many years?
- Who is one of your state’s U.S. Senators now?
- The House of Representatives has how many voting members?
- We elect a U.S. Representative for how many years?
- Name your U.S. Representative.
- Who does a U.S. Senator represent?
- Why do some states have more Representatives than other states?
- We elect a President for how many years?
- In what month do we vote for President?
- What is the name of the President of the United States now?
- What is the name of the Vice President of the United States now?
- If the President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
- If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
- Who is the Commander in Chief of the military?
- Who signs bills to become law?
- Who vetoes bills?
- What does the President’s Cabinet do?
- What are two Cabinet-level positions?
- What does the judicial branch do?
- What is the highest court in the United States?
- How many Justices are on the Supreme Court?
- Who is the Chief Justice of the United States now?
- Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the federal government. What is one power of the federal government?
- Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the states. What is one power of the states?
- Who is the Governor of your state now?
- What is the capital of your state?
- What are the two major political parties in the United States?
- What is the political party of the President now?
- What is the name of the Speaker of the House of Representatives now?
- There are four amendments to the Constitution about who can vote. Describe one of them.
- What is one responsibility that is only for United States citizens?
- Name one right only for United States citizens.
- What are two rights of everyone living in the United States?
- What do we show loyalty to when we say the Pledge of Allegiance?
- What is one promise you make when you become a United States citizen?
- How old do citizens have to be to vote for President?
- What are two ways that Americans can participate in their democracy?
- When is the last day you can send in federal income tax forms?
- When must all men register for the Selective Service?
A: Colonial Period and Independence
- What is one reason colonists came to America?
- Who lived in America before the Europeans arrived?
- What group of people was taken to America and sold as slaves?
- Why did the colonists fight the British?
- Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?
- When was the Declaration of Independence adopted?
- There were 13 original states. Name three.
- What happened at the Constitutional Convention?
- When was the Constitution written?
- The Federalist Papers supported the passage of the U.S. Constitution. Name one of the writers.
- What is one thing Benjamin Franklin is famous for?
- Who is the “Father of our Country”?
- Who was the first President?
C: Recent American History and Other Important Historical Information
- What territory did the United States buy from France in 1803?
- Name one war fought by the United States in the 1800’s.
- Name the U.S. war between the North and the South.
- Name one problem that led to the Civil War.
- What was one important thing that Abraham Lincoln did?
- What did the Emancipation Proclamation do?
- What did Susan B. Anthony do?
- Name one war fought by the United States in the 1900’s.
- Who was President during World War I?
- Who was President during the Great Depression and World War II?
- Who did the United States fight in World War II?
- Before he was President, Eisenhower was a general. What war was he in?
- During the Cold War, what was the main concern of the United States?
- What movement tried to end racial discrimination?
- What did Martin Luther King, Jr. do?
- What major event happened on September 11, 2001, in the United States?
- Name one American Indian tribe in the United States.
- Name one of the two longest rivers in the United States.
- What ocean is on the West Coast of the United States?
- What ocean is on the East Coast of the United States?
- Name one U.S. territory.
- Name one state that borders Canada.
- Name one state that borders Mexico.
- What is the capital of the United States?
- Where is the Statue of Liberty?
- Why does the flag have 13 stripes?
- Why does the flag have 50 stars?
- What is the name of the national anthem?
- When do we celebrate Independence Day?
- Name two national U.S. holidays.