North Dakota Academic and Career and Technical Education Scholarship

Facebook Twitter YouTube Print
Q: Who is eligible for the ND Scholarship?
A: A ND resident graduating from a ND high school, a public high school in a bordering state (NDCC 15.1-29), or a nonpublic school in a bordering state while residing with a custodial parent (NDCC 15.1-21-02.6), or completes a program of home education supervised in accordance with NDCC 15.1-23.
Q: What are the common requirements for both scholarships?
A: The common requirements for both scholarships include:
  • Any 4 units of English
  • 3 units of Science: Physical Science (1 unit), Biology (1 unit), any other (1 unit)
    • OR 3 units of Science: Biology (1 unit), Physics (1 unit) and Chemistry (1 unit)
  • 3 units of Social Studies: US History (1 unit), Problems of Democracy (1 unit) or US Government (½ unit) AND Economics (½ unit), and any other (1 unit)
  • Physical education (1 unit) or physical education (½ unit) AND Health (½ unit)
  • Earn no grade lower than a “C”(2.0) on any unit required for the scholarship
  • Earn a cumulative GPA of a 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale 
Q: What are the requirements for the ND Academic scholarship?
A: The requirements for the ND Academic Scholarship include completion of the following:
4 units of math, of which includes 1 unit of Algebra II and 1 unit of math for which Algebra II is a prerequisite; 2 units of the same foreign language, the same Native American language, American Sign Language, or 2 units of CTE from a coordinated plan of study; 1 unit selected from foreign language, Native American language, American Sign Language, fine arts, or CTE, any 5 additional units,  1 unit of an AP course and exam, ½ unit of a dual credit course, or 1 unit of an early entrance college course from a college which has a physical presence in North Dakota, and earn a composite score of 24 or higher on the ACT.
Q: What are the requirements for the Career and Technical Education Scholarship?
A: The requirements for the ND CTE Scholarship include the completion of the following:
1 unit of Algebra II and any 2 other units of math; 4 units of CTE in which two units must be in a coordinated plan of study; 1 unit selected from foreign languages, Native American languages, American Sign Language, fine arts, or CTE, any 3 additional units, earn a composite score of 24 or higher on the ACT or score of at least “5” on each of the 3 designated WorkKeys assessments.
Q: When can a student access the online scholarship?
A: Students may access the online scholarship application between the first Monday in January and the first Friday in June. They may also submit an application through eTranscript.
Q: What ND colleges and universities accept the scholarship?
A: The following qualifying ND colleges and universities accept the ND scholarship: Dickinson State University, Mayville State University, Minot State University, North Dakota State University, University of North Dakota, Valley City State University, University of Jamestown, Trinity Bible College, University of Mary, Rasmussen College,  Bismarck State College,  Williston State College,  Lake Region State College, Dakota College at Bottineau,  Sitting Bull College,  North Dakota State College of Science,  Cankdeska Cikana Community College, Nueta Hidatsa Sahnish College,  Turtle Mountain Community College, and United Tribes Technical College.
Q: What is the amount of the scholarship?
A: The total value of the scholarship is $6,000 with a payment of $750 per semester or $500 per quarter.
Q: What if I am awarded the scholarship but am not attending a ND college in the fall?
A: Students not attending a ND college or university in the fall have the option to defer their scholarship until the time of attendance. The scholarship monies are available for them to use during the six years following graduation.
Q: Do I have to reapply every year for the scholarship?
A: No. The ND Scholarship automatically renews provided the student is enrolled full time (12 credits the first 2 terms and 15 credits each term thereafter with few exceptions) and maintains a cumulative 2.75 GPA reviewed each term.
Q: Is this scholarship for undergraduate studies only?
A: Students may use the funds for graduate studies in North Dakota.
Q: Does a student taking an AP course have to have a score of a “3” or higher on the AP exam?
A: No. Students may take the exam but they do not have to score a “3” or higher on the AP exam.
Q: If a school does not offer AP classes, where may a student take these classes?
A: Advanced Placement courses are available through the North Dakota Center for Distance Education (NDCDE). NDCDE has an extensive offering of AP courses available for all North Dakota students. With the ability to enroll in these courses year round, NDCDE can provide an option for these students and schools at any time. If you have any questions about NDCDE’s AP course offerings, please contact:
NDCDE – 701-298-4830 or 701-298-4840 –
Q: What is a dual credit course?
A: A “dual credit” course is a one-semester college course taken through a two- or four-year institution of higher education for which the student earns ½ unit of high school credit.
Q: How does dual credit appear on my high school transcript?
A: The dual credit course will appear on the student’s official high school transcript as “DC” and the earned grade calculated into the student’s cumulative high school GPA. Dual credit students must be earning both high school and college credit for the course.