nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends
NDDHS logo
 arrow iconDHS Home arrow iconContact DHS arrow iconSkip Navigation Space

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Who can apply for programs or services?

A. Generally speaking, anyone may apply for assistance. Eligible applicants will ordinarily reside in North Dakota. For additional information, please refer to the program brochure (172kb pdf).

Q. Where do I apply for programs and services?

A. To apply, contact your local County Social Service Office. For local contact information, click on the county closest to your home on the locator map. You may also view the application. Completing the application prior to visiting the County Social Service Office may help to shorten the eligibility determination process.

Q. Whom do I contact if I have additional questions prior to applying for programs or services?

A. The County Social Service Office staff can assist you in the completion of the application and can answer any questions you may have regarding the program.

Q. Who has access to my information, if I apply for programs or services?

A. The Department of Human Services must follow federal and state laws on privacy. Only those individuals whose jobs require them to view your personal information in order to administer the programs or process payments, have access to your information. Department of Human Services staff and County Social Service Office agency staff are bound by strict confidentiality rules that do not allow unauthorized disclosure of your personal information.

Q. Are other programs or services available?

A. The Department of Human Services provides a wide range of programs and services. You can return to the Financial Help page to review other programs that may be available to assist with your financial needs.

Q. Will there be any cost to me for programs or services?

A. There is no cost to apply but you will have to pay a percentage of some services based on your income.

Q. When should I make an application for Energy Assistance?

A. Applications are received October 1 through May 31 of each heating season.

Q. What happens after I make an application?

A. You will be sent a Notice of Action letter within 45 days telling you if you have been found eligible or denied benefits. All verifications should have been returned within thirty days from the receipt of the application.

You have the right to appeal and request a fair hearing if you disagree with any decision made on your heating assistance or emergency assistance application or if you do not receive a written notice of the action taken on your heating assistance application within 45 days from the date your application is received. Appeals must be requested within 30 days. Contact your county social service office for instructions on how to request an appeal of fair hearing.

Q. What services are available if I am found eligible?

A. The following services are available:

  • Heating assistance
  • making your home energy efficient
  • furnace and chimney cleaning
  • emergency assistance
  • furnace replacements
  • minor repairs, and
  • energy cost reduction devices
You may also refer to our brochure (272kb pdf) for additional information.

Q. Am I required to pay the fuel dealer my fuel cost upon delivery?

A. You must follow your vendor's payment terms for your portion of the bill.

Q. What if I can't pay my share of the fuel cost?

A. Your percentage will be calculated based on your income, so your portion should be manageable. However if you should find yourself in an unforeseen situation, emergency assistance is available. Eligibility requirements are more restrictive.

Q. How can I lower my share of the heating bill?

A. There are a some suggestions on how to lower your share of your heating bill.

  • Buy from a supplier who will give you the ‘cash discount’ for fuel
  • Buy from a supplier who will let you make 12 monthly payments for your share of the heating bills
  • Ask your heating assistance worker for more information about “Energy Cost Reductions Services”
  • Ask for Energy Conservation Services (Weatherization Services)


Return to the top of the page Top of page   Go back to the previous page Back to previous page

 Get Adobe Acrobat Reader Tested for W3C WAI AA Accessibility Tested for W3C Well-Formed XHTML Code Tested for W3C Well Formed Cascading Style Sheet Code