nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends
NDDHS logo
 arrow iconDHS Home arrow iconContact DHS arrow iconSkip Navigation Space

Application for Assistance

The N.D. Department of Human Services administers these Public Assistance Programs:

  • Basic Care Assistance
  • Child Care Assistance
  • Children's Health Insurance Program
  • Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program
  • Medicaid
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly Food Stamps)
  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
  • Other Programs

For information about public assistance programs, view the Application for Assistance Guidebook - Updated June 2022. Contains IMPORTANT information about programs and client rights.

Curious What You Might Qualify For? Use this Pre-Screening Tool:

  • Bridge to Benefits: This screening tool was developed by the Children's Defense Fund to help individuals and families learn if they might qualify for benefits from some North Dakota programs. NOTE: It does not include the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program.

NOTE: Only by completing the application process, will you know with certainty whether you qualify.

To Apply:

  • APPLY Online: Submit an application online. The completed application will be directed to the appropriate human service zone office in your county.
    • Watch is VIDEO to learn about the benefits of applying online and how to apply online.
      • VIDEO: Learn how to link a case to your online account
      • VIDEO: Learn how to manage your mail notifications
      • VIDEO: Learn how to report a change
      • VIDEO: Learn how to view notices
  • APPLY Locally: Print and complete the general Application for Assistance (SFN 405) for most public assistance programs. Print and complete the LIHEAP Application for heating assistance. Printed and signed application forms should be returned to the human service zone office in your county. (NOTE: Due to the pandemic, some offices may be temporarily closed to the public.)
  • APPLY by Mail: You can contact your human service zone office (formerly known as county social service office) and request that an application be mailed to you.

NEED HELP completing an application? Contact your human service zone office.


Return to the top of the page Top of page   Go back to the previous page Back to previous page


 Get Adobe Acrobat Reader Tested for W3C WAI AA Accessibility Tested for W3C Well-Formed XHTML Code Tested for W3C Well Formed Cascading Style Sheet Code