[nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government]
[North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends]
skip to contentskip to navigation
NDDES Homeland Security State Radio - link home



State Emergency Response Commission

DES Grants

North Dakota State and Local Intelligence Center

ND Special Needs Registry

NDDES Connect Facebook Twitter RSS

News Releases

NDDES reminds travelers about new border security requirements

Posted on 1/31/2008

January 31, 2008701-328-8110

BISMARCK, N.D. - The N.D. Department of Emergency Services (NDDES) today reminded people who are planning on crossing the US/Canadian border that new security measures take effect today. The new regulations apply to US and Canadian citizens ages 19 and older.

"These new regulations will tighten our border security and keep our citizens safe," said N.D. Director of Homeland Security, Greg Wilz. "These requirements are not meant to impede travel; they are intended to make sure that people are who they say they are."

The new regulations require that travelers crossing the border present a document to verify identity and citizenship, instead of using the oral declaration that was used in the past.

U.S. and Canadian Citizens - Single Document Option:

One of the following documents should be presented to prove both identity and citizenship, as of Jan. 31, 2008:

  • U.S. or Canadian Passport
  • U.S. Passport Card (Available spring 2008)*
  • Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)*
  • State or Provincial Issued Enhanced Driver's License (when available - this secure driver's license will denote identity and citizenship)*
  • Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available)*
  • U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Document
  • Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card
  • Form I-872 American Indian Card
  • Indian and Northern Affairs Canada Card
U.S. and Canadian Citizens - Two Document Option:

All U.S. and Canadian citizens who do not have one of the documents from the list above must present both an identification and citizenship document from each of the lists below.

  • Identification Documents*
  • Driver's license or identification card issued by a federal, state, provincial, county, territory or municipal authority
  • U.S. or Canadian military identification card
  • All identification documents must have a photo, name, and date of birth.
  • Citizenship Documents
  • U.S., or Canadian birth certificate issued by a federal, state, provincial, county, territory, or municipal authority
  • U.S. Consular report of birth abroad
  • U.S. Certificate of Naturalization
  • U.S. Certificate of Citizenship
  • U.S. Citizen Identification Card
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Canadian certificate of citizenship without photo
U.S. and Canadian Citizens - Procedures for Children

Also, effective on Jan. 31, 2008, U.S. and Canadian citizen children ages 18 and under will be expected to present a birth certificate issued by a federal, state, provincial, county, or municipal authority.

For Travelers other than U.S. and Canadian Citizens:

All existing nonimmigrant visa and passport requirements will remain in effect and will not be altered by the changes that are implemented on Jan. 31, 2008. U.S. lawful permanent residents will be required to present a Permanent Resident Card (I-551) or other valid evidence of lawful permanent residence. Mexican citizens, including children, must present a valid passport and a B-1/B-2 nonimmigrant visa or a Border Crossing Card.

Know Your Destination - Country Document Requirements:

It is strongly recommended that all travelers leaving the U.S. verify the specific documentary requirements for their destination country. This information is available through www.travel.state.gov, or by consulting with the embassy of the country you are visiting.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection will begin the transition to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative secure document requirement over the next 18 months, with implementation as early as June 1, 2009.

Travelers are encouraged to visit www.cbp.gov for updates on travel information.

* Frequent Land Border Crossers - To expedite processing into the United States, U.S. Customs and Border Protection recommends using one of the above asterisked documents.


This site updated as of 11/24/2017.