Greg began his career as an owner-partner of a small retail business chain. In 1985, he entered active duty in the North Dakota National Guard from which he retired with the rank of Colonel. During his 31 year military career, he served in various command assignments and culminated his service as Director of Operations. He then became President of Innovative Leadership Solutions, Inc., a firm that provided consulting services to a variety of businesses including small and large corporate, non-profit, and government organizations.
Greg was appointed the Homeland Security Division Director and State Security Advisor on January 1, 2006. During his tenure, he has reorganized the Department of Emergency Services into two divisions and restructured the North Dakota’s planning and response process into a proactive approach that stresses coordination with local governments to ensure early deployment of personnel and equipment. In the past four years, the rapid pace of increased regional response capabilities has been a critical component in the ability of local jurisdictions to quickly access response needs. Greg has directed response and recovery operations during 19 Presidential declared disasters and numerous state declared emergencies.
He is a graduate of Dickinson State University. Greg and his wife Sharon have been married for 36 years. They and their two sons and their families and reside in Bismarck, North Dakota.
- Dickinson State University
- Officer Candidate School
- Engineer Officer Basic Course
- Engineer Officer Advance Course
- Combined Arms Service Course
- Command and General Staff College
- Leadership Development Course
- Engineer Pre-Command Course
- Organization Development Practitioner’s Course
- Organization Consultant's Course
- Incident Command System 100 through 400
- American Legion
- Patriot Guard Riders
- Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials
- National Emergency Management Association
- North Dakota 911 Association
- North Dakota Emergency Management Association
- Employer Support of the National Guard and Reserve